OPV Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm cleaning the valves on all my wings and in some cases replacing gaskets. The one gasket I'm a bit unsure about is the rubber OP seat on the OPV: Does the rubber OP seat stay secure inside the plastic OP seat retainer without any adhesive at all? In some I've found something that looks like adhesive/glue, in some I've found a black film that looks like some kind of gasket sealant, and in others I've found nothing at all.

What's the protocol with the OP seat?

Thanks!

This must be too easy and/or too boring a question for people, but I would appreciate a tip from someone in the know. Is the rubber OP seat secure in the plastic retainer without any adhesive? There is nothing holding the seat secure when the OPV is pulled open, which is why I am asking. I suppose some adhesive wouldn't hurt, but no other part of any of the valve assemblies requires adhesive, and I am disinclined to use any if it's not absolutely needed. Thanks!

My DiveRite OPV seat looks like it might have had some glue in the carrier at one time but any adhesive effects are long gone. Still, it sits in the carrier tightly enough that I could not dislodge it with my fingernail. I had to get a pick. So I suspect the answer is that you could glue it (with a glue that can later be removed) but you don't need to.

Thanks AWAP. BTW, did we just complete a wing transaction?

Sure did. Left +++ feedback yesterday. That sure is a nice wing. Now I just have to adapt it to one of my home made plates after she gives it to me for Xmas.

Yes, it wasn't easy giving it up, but I just didn't see myself making much use of it. Glad it's in good hands. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom