How do I dive northern atlantic from Canada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
CANADIANS!!! How ya guyz doin?

I wanted to dive the Atlantic coast up as north as possible. Can anyone tell me what kind of diving you guys have in Halifax and further up north in NB? Marine life, visibility, water termpoerature etc. And also ... what is the northern most point in Canada that is scuba accessible (dive shop / boat etc).

God bless ya. I love Canada.

Places to start- Torpedo Rays in Halifax. Travelling up the coast- Louisbourg Scuba Service in Cape Breton. Further north than that- Ocean Quest in St. Johns, Nfld.

The best marine life diving in the East Coast is off Deer Island, New Brunswick (not kidding at all). Visibility averages 15ft, current water temp is 49-50F. Please do not attempt diving Deer Island without a guide however due to the extreme tidal range of the Bay of Fundy, this requires local knowledge to dive. If you don't know anyone locally, you can hire a guide. There are some sites with similar marine life (but not the density) in Eastport ME.

Pictures here;
Deer Island, New Brunswick Photo Gallery by Connie Bishop at pbase.com

Guided Diving Service (I am a guide);
Guided Diving

As Brian mentioned the Halifax area shore diving/shipwrecks can be arranged through Torpedo Rays. Torpedo Rays Scuba - Rule The Water - Welcome

Also for Cape Breton, in the Arichat area there is shore and boat diving which can be arranged through Ingo Vollmer (info@vipilodge.com). The wreck of the Arrow is located just off Arichat.

Most northern point for scuba? I have a friend living & diving in the NWT..
However for tourism diving.. Ocean Quest in Newfoundland does run annual excursions to Labrador, I hear the diving is fantastic (and would love to go someday). Home

The best marine life diving in the East Coast is off Deer Island, New Brunswick (not kidding at all). Visibility averages 15ft, current water temp is 49-50F. Please do not attempt diving Deer Island without a guide however due to the extreme tidal range of the Bay of Fundy, this requires local knowledge to dive. If you don't know anyone locally, you can hire a guide. There are some sites with similar marine life (but not the density) in Eastport ME.

Pictures here;
Deer Island, New Brunswick Photo Gallery by Connie Bishop at pbase.com

Guided Diving Service (I am a guide);
Guided Diving

As Brian mentioned the Halifax area shore diving/shipwrecks can be arranged through Torpedo Rays. Torpedo Rays Scuba - Rule The Water - Welcome

Also for Cape Breton, in the Arichat area there is shore and boat diving which can be arranged through Ingo Vollmer (info@vipilodge.com). The wreck of the Arrow is located just off Arichat.

Most northern point for scuba? I have a friend living & diving in the NWT..
However for tourism diving.. Ocean Quest in Newfoundland does run annual excursions to Labrador, I hear the diving is fantastic (and would love to go someday). Home

Thanks very much guys. I am thinking of doing a road trip from Washington DC to NWT diving all these places in between. I have noted down your guided dives link and would love to book you when I am there. We will of course plan it in advance. Is there any particular season when viz would better or diving would be more prefered than other months? Any other diving or road tips let me know. Ill add you to my contacts if thats ok.

For diving off Deer Island NB, it doesn't really matter the time of year for visibility.. but access to some sites is limited in Winter and water temp gets down to around 40F or slightly below. Late Summer/early Fall is normally a nice balance of water temp/weather.

Otherwise generally late Spring/early Summer is usually better for visibility, water temp and weather on the East Coast.

For Newfoundland diving I normally go no later than late June/early July, for the best visibility (and you want it good on the Bell Island shipwrecks!).. our 2012 excursion is actually planned late May/early June.

By late Summer/Fall the visibility drops and it's hurricane season as well.. there is still some nice diving but if you were planning a tourist trip there is more risk to be blown out..

Thanks very much guys. I am thinking of doing a road trip from Washington DC to NWT diving all these places in between. I have noted down your guided dives link and would love to book you when I am there. We will of course plan it in advance. Is there any particular season when viz would better or diving would be more prefered than other months? Any other diving or road tips let me know. Ill add you to my contacts if thats ok.

Sounds like an awesome trip. The thought of a long road trip always makes me feel good......of course it always made my mechanic feel better other than the bad back from carrying his wallet after I left. Will you follow the coast through Labrador and Quebec (thus following Hudson and James Bays) of cut through QB and ON? I would love to follow the coast (or as close to following the coast as the roads/highways allow that is).

Cape Breton has also some amazing marine life ( as mentioned in the Diving Almanac ). One of our most popular places is the Iona Bridge at Grand Narrows. We have two shipwrecks there with easy access from shore. One is around 240 feet long and three dimensional in just 66 feet of water. Wildlife there is just amazing. If you are up in the area, just let us know and we show you around.

Michael
Index

...I am thinking of doing a road trip from Washington DC to NWT...

Several of the contacts you have been given will get you squared away... and I'd specifically recommend contacting Ocean Quest in Newfoundland since they also arrange dives in Labrador.

However, a question. You wrote that you are driving from DC to the Northwest Territories and are looking for dive ops on Canada's EAST coast. Man, that is one heck of a detour!

I can put you in touch with an outfit that arranges dives in Hudson Bay if you are interested; however, conditions up there are pretty rough and the diving is not cheap. Let me know.

Hi Doppler -

Yes I will be driving from DC to up there and the drive is part of the adventure :D I dont want to take the plane and miss the beautiful Canadian countryside that we always see in calendars. Ill get in touch with you as soon as I finalize on which of my dive buddies will be coming. Thanks so much for all the info guys. I appreciate your help.

The South Shore of Nova Scotia also has soem great diving..historic Lunenburg as The HMCS Saguenay as a artificial reef and you can dosoem Shark diving there as well. Some nice topside stuff to do as well especially if the Bluenose II is in town as well as Halifax you can go to the museum of the Atlantic as check out the Titanic display..i could go on and on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom