Best Instructor Specialties to Teach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KSaw

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the scubaboard, and have a question for those more experienced divers and/or instructors. I will be taking my IDC (PADI) in the near future and was wondering what people have enjoyed taking as "specialty courses" and also what the instructors enjoy teaching and find the most marketable in general. After the IDC I will gain 5 Instructor specialty ratings - just wondering what the general consensus is. Opinions? I appreciate the input...

PADI's most popular specialty course is the Nitrox course, its a good one to have and you can teach it to any certified diver. Also Drysuit and Deep are very popular in England and DPV if you can afford to buy a couple of them is really popular for the novelty value.
I have taught a the Search and Recovery course a few times and they where really good fun I also enjoy teaching the Wreck course. When it comes down to it, each course is what you make it in terms of enjoyment for you and the students.

Teach what you know.

I think one of the reasons we read so many divers see little value in specialty courses is that the instructors teaching it only know what's in the outline.

People seem to take the spacialties they have to take, like nitrox. The guys from the local dive team that can't afford real PSD training take Search and Recovery and Ice.

The badge collectors who are after MSD will take anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom