Great last dives of the season (my season).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeerCreekers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Jr had a half day at school so we headed out to get some lobster diving in. I have a knee surgery scheduled soon so decided to get some last minute diving I. (cause really I'd it needs to be fixed anyway, what harm other than a little bit of pain can it cause).
Plan was to head to Leo C but enroute we slowed down at Deercreek and viz was so good you could see the grass from the road. So Jr and I changed plans and decided to accept all the lobster we knew the grass at Deercreek would cough up for us. Although we gaged about a dozen, they were all just that much short. Ok can I tell u Jr was hand signing me something I didn't understand under the water and then on the surface he explained "mom, I was Penn St"ing them...u kno just molesting em". Nice Jr. Nice ( See what I have to put up with as a the mother of a teen?).
What can I say, we got skunked, viz was Cozumel clear and glass but just could,nt find any keepers in shallow waters.
We had brought 4 tanks with us ( stole two from Robert Arak with the agreement that he gets a portion of any lobsters taken using his tanks). Conditions were sooo awesome we decided to move to Leo C. to do a night dive. I've been wanting to do a California night dive with the boy for two years now (done several in Coz but that's not really diving, more like falling over the side of the boat in comfort).
Hit the water as the sun sank under the water (during long back crawl out, "Mom, wait a sec, look at the sun disappear..isn't the cool"... (priceless Marky Roberts, priceless). Viz was 50 ft. Can I repeat that...50 feet. We sank to the coolest dive ever; octupus, bat ray the size of a pool table, totally different fish life than we were used to, buried treasure in the form of a "Sea Hunt" style knife i could have foughht off a shark with if i had to...And 4 lobster keepers.
Didn't matter that we over navigated in the dark and had a long-ass surface swim back ("Mom, did u ever think we would be diving while looking up at the stars"
Raising teenage boys is hard work..and a month ago he put his fist thru the wall because he was annoyed with the family. But when we dive..we are simpatico. All is good. These are good memories being made
Yes my knee was killing me but I wouldn't change the dive for second. I'm done, my lobster season is over ( and because my season is over, Jr is sitting at 96 dives and will have to wait for Cozumel in April to get his 100th, and me to get my 200th.) But what a way to go out. What a great way to spend a Tuesday.

Conditions have been wildly nice all over alot of local shore dive areas, it's just "not" a good time to be a legal lobster!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom