Oceanic VT4: Can someone make a video on how to remove the vt4 wristband.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i have a vt4 and would like to remove the wristband when i use my drysuit, but would like to use the wristband when i go to warmer waters. Can someone make a video on how to remove the wristband with out breaking the computer.

I talked to a oceanic tech and they said it was easy, just remove a couple of pins with a screwdriver.

I do not want to break the computer. Can someone help?

Try soaking for a few minutes in hot tap water. Then, use finger power to pry it out.

(Then, get a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount and toss the wristband. You won't miss it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try soaking for a few minutes in hot tap water. Then, use finger power to pry it out.

(Then, get a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount and toss the wristband. You won't miss it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1.

I use DSS mounts on my Vyper, Gekko (before I lost it) various SK7s and my bottom timer, makes donning an doffing effortless. Depending how you lace has the added bonus of offering redundancy i.e if one breaks you will not lose instrument. Removing the pins that secure the existing strap should not be difficult. If the pin sits inside the casing and doesn't protrude I've always used, with care, the blade on my swiss army knife the fine edge slips in easier. Take your time and don't force anything and you should be fine. Good luck.

I know this is an older thread, but I just put my VT4 in a DSS bungee mount and thought I'd file this infobit away in the searchable Scubaboard archives for posterity.

Removing the VT4 (or similar computers) from the stock boot/wristband is pretty easy when you follow these steps:

1. Soak the computer with the original boot and wristband in warm (like a shower or bath, not scalding hot) water for a few minutes to make the plastic/rubber more pliable.

2. Take the computer out of its warm water bath and using your thumbs, push the edge of the boot that partially covers the rim of the computer up and over the rim to free the computer from the boot. This requires some dexterity and hand strength. I carefully used a plastic bicycle tire lever (like Amazon.com: Tire Lever) to make this much easier.

3. On the VT4 and probably other computers, the strap ends are attached directly to the computer, not the boot. The strap is secured with watch-style spring bars. You can try using an improvised tool to press down on the shoulder of these bars, which are just barely visible between between the strap and the lugs that capture it on each side. But a watch spring bar tool (like Amazon.com: 6" Spring Bar Tool) makes this task a breeze. Or, take the computer to the kiosk at your local mall that changes watch batteries and bands; they'll probably do it for free.

4. Installing the now bare computer module in the DSS mount is pretty straightforward. Soaking the mount in warm water and using the bicycle tire lever (very carefully) can make the job go a lot easier and quicker.

Hope this helps...good luck!

Thank you very much for this post. It made it so that I could actually use my DSS mount. The bicycle tire tool was key!

Another thank you from six years down the road... I just made the swap to a bungee mount using the instructions above. Didn't have the tire lever so I used the back end of a carefully selected fork.

I would recommend to any future swappers that you avoid slapping the VT right back into the wrist mount because you're not paying attention, as, um, I did.

what happened?

ugh, you're going to make me say it: I had to re-remove it and install it in the bungee mount, but not before I threw the wrist mount across the room so I wouldn't do it again...

VT4 boot removal, Method 2 (when method 1 is a pain in the ass) - Step 1: Follow Method 1, Step one. Step 2: Follow Method 1 step two above until it says insert a tire iron. Once you have a wee little bit of room, that's the time to insert the tip of wire cutting pliers. Step 3: Cut away until the computer falls freely from the boot.
Reinserting the computer into the old boot is no longer an issue.

Attachments

• boot removed.jpg
    boot removed.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 99
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom