Statement from PDIC Executive Director Thad Bowden: recent notes from IDEA & others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
PDIC Instructors

It has recently come to our attention that some of you have been approached by other certifying agencies including IDEA, claiming that PDIC International no longer is operating.
This is false- PDIC is operating at full steam and is working hard to improve communication from headquarters to members, updating materials, providing faster, efficient and quality service. We are in daily contact with Instructors all over the world; we have continually processed and reissued certifications even during the transition from Pennsylvania to Indiana. We are certifying new instructors and gearing up for 2012 Renewals.
PDIC was purchased by Tom Leaird, President and CEO of Scuba Educators International. Tom has years of experience in the industry and prides himself in quality teaching. Tom is excited about the opportunity to improve PDIC and is actively involved in the day to day operations.
Let us re affirm- PDIC is open for business! We are excited about the opportunity to talk and meet our members and are looking ahead to a bright and successful future.

Thadeus Bowden
Executive Director
PDIC International
1623 W Jackson St
Muncie IN 47303
765-281-0133
Info@pdic-intl.com
www.pdic-intl.com

I myself want to apologize for the lack of info regrading the DEMA seminar with SEI and PDIC instructors. I have been crazy busy trying to catch up with my own regular job as well as UDM Aquatic Services matters and in doing so have been tied up.

It is on my calendar to post a report tomorrow evening regarding the issues that were discussed. But in short to all of the PDIC instructors out there - You are entering a new era for PDIC. One that will see better service, faster turn arounds, longer office hours, and more support than ever from YOUR new headquarters in Muncie, Indiana.

PDIC is not going away. If anything we want to see you grow along with us at Scuba Educators International. There are enough students looking for thorough, quality education to keep both of us busy. I am urging all PDIC instructors to disregard any attempt to get you to leave the agency that you love and are familiar with. Instead get with me and SEI/PDIC HQ and help us help you. I am not a PDIC instructor. I need your help with questions of standards and training. I'm am asking for one or two of you to join me as moderators of this forum to deal with issues relating to PDIC and the evolution it is now undergoing.

Every SEI Instructor is welcome to offer input into all that we do. By the same token you the PDIC instructor now has more opportunity than ever to determine the direction you want to see YOUR agency grow. Any questions feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my ability or direct you to HQ if I don't have the answer.

Look for my DEMA report in this thread tomorrow evening. Thanks

Jim Lapenta
SEI Instructor #204
SEI Diving Internet Message Board Liasion

As promised here is a brief report on what happened at the SEI/PDIC update at DEMA.

There were quite a few PDIC instructors in attendance. There were a number of questions regarding standards, certifications, materials, and most of all service. The assembled group was given a short intro to the merge of SEI Diving and PDIC. Tom Leaird assured all of us that this event was not a combining of the two agencies. We will remain two separate agencies but at the same time share resources. A good number of PDIC specialties have had less than 4 certs in three years and there is something on the order of 48 specialties. While not as many we had the same issue with a number of the old YMCA certs.

As such there is a lot of work to do. The assistance of PDIC instructors will be needed. We need to take a look at what is working, what needs work, and what may need to be put on the shelf for a time UNLESS you are teaching a course that is popular with your students and makes you money.

We will also custom tailor workbooks for you just as we do with SEI Instructors. Provide a file and when you need to order workbooks for your classes we print your text.

Certifications were another issue that was a sometimes problem area. No more. Turn arounds with our office staff are fast, accurate, amd friendly. Santyna and Helynka will take good care of you. I hope to add more details on Saturday to this. I'm tired and need sleep. And tomorrow I have 44 kids in the classroom after 9 hours at work. If any PDIC instructor wants to contribute to this please feel free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom