Which Key Largo Center out of these 3??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9supratt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wow...It is hard going through the MANY MANY reviews for dive ops in Key Largo. I've been reading reviews for what seems like weeks!! So many people have so many nice things to say about every op down there!!

I have narrowed down to 3 ops for one reason or another.

Quiescence, Silent World, Key Largo Dive Ctr.

I'd like to hear just on these 3 if possible.

I am a diver from jersey and used to cold, deeper dives (75-90). I have only been diving in warm water once...so I am really looking forward to it!! I have about 50 logged dives, so I still consider myself to be a beginner....I don't have to use navigation skills much being in Jersey as we always run a line because of 10'-30' of viz.

That being said, I'd like to go with a smaller boat...6-pack would be nice. Myself and buddy will be going and possibly a third...so we'd probably have half the boat ourselves.

What does everyone think??

Thanks in advance!!!!

I have been diving with Quiescence for 6+ years and have never had a bad trip with them. Captains are knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating. 3 nice 6-packs. The dorm upstairs is sparse but okay if you are with a larger group, can all stay together, grill out, etc.

I have heard good things about Silent World, but no direct experience.

No matter where you end up I recommend finding Mrs Mac's Kitchen and getting some key lime pie. If you buy a whole pie to go they throw in a gigantic piping bag full of whipped cream. :). They are just past the big CVS past mile marker 100.

-bill

I wouldn't dive with anyone other than Silent World. They have smaller boats (even a six pack if you get lucky or do a deeper dive). The owner is very knowledgeable, very present in the business and a hell of a nice guy. They cater to tech crowds and have the ability to blend any gas mix you want, rent tanks (AL or steel), etc etc etc. All of the operators go to the same places, so it boils down to service. Like I said, wouldn't even look at anyone else.

+1 on Mrs. Mac's. Go for a day trip on one of the fishing boat (or have SW take you on a spearing trip) and take your catch to the restaurant, they'll cook it up for you.

Smaller boats are nice but the larger boats are usually not full at all this time of year. Windy conditions with make a small boat trip potentially more unpleasant. Call each of the shops and ask which wrecks they will drive to and which they will not due to distance. You will find most boat rides 35-60 minutes to your destination, reef or wreck. My recommendation (20 trips with) is not on your list.

Cannot say enough good things about Chris and Silent World.

Have dived several six packs and much prefer the larger boats. Dove perhaps one trip with SW with a full boat. Trick is to go slightly off season.

Quiescence, Silent World, Key Largo Dive Ctr.
I'd like to hear just on these 3 if possible.
That being said, I'd like to go with a smaller boat...6-pack would be nice. Myself and buddy will be going and possibly a third...so we'd probably have half the boat ourselves.

I've been out with both Quiescence and S.W. several times. Never could coordinate with KLDC due to "stuff."

If I were dragging my sorry butt on one of those three it would be Quiescence first: Six-packs, super safe, yet customer oriented, excuse free, friendly and willing to go that extra mile to make your experience special. TALKING (many times) with KLDC gave the impression they will also do a good job.

And that's all I'm going to say about that!

I have been doing the same research for a trip I am making in March and opted for Conch Republic because they have had good reviews here and else where plus they are close to where I am staying but I am considering Silent World for one dive to Craysford reef. They seem to be the only people who go that far north regularly.

If it was me, I would, actually split my time between SW and Quiescence. I would go out with SW and hit the most northern sites including Carysfort and North North Dry Rocks. I like SW but their boats are not maintained to the the highest level (I am a freak about this),not a huge safety thing just a fact. Of the three ops listed they are definitely more tech orientated and do support more advanced divers and offer more diving freedom if you are qualified (doesn't appear to apply to you), but this makes them a great choice IMHO.

Quiescence is a nice all around choice to hit central Key Largo, Their three 6 pack boats are not new, but they are perfectly maintained. They run very conservative trips and only offer 30% Nitrox which is a bit limiting. They help each diver get into their equipment (does take a bit longer to get into the water) and offer the best equipment technicians in the Upper Keys.

Your third option is more of 2nd tier shop in KL. They do seem to be getting their act together since they move to Port Largo, but they run less than 1/3rd the trips of the other two.

Your third option is more of 2nd tier shop in KL. They do seem to be getting their act together since they move to Port Largo, but they run less than 1/3rd the trips of the other two.

I'm not sure what is meant by this? Just because they are smaller and run less trips they are "2nd tier"? I'll just assume the only implication there is that they just don't have as much of a reputation/client base yet as some of the other shops... because they are certainly not 2nd tier when it comes to quality.

I've posted in other threads - I have been to KL several times and my experience with KLDC was the best I had with any shop (out of 5 or so shops). They were the only shop where I have been able to plan ahead with specific sites (that were an atypical dive profile for KL) and have the exact plan executed (vs one of the dive sites changing without notice). GREAT experience with both the shop and the captain.

I don't think you would go wrong with Q or SW, either, and if I couldn't go out with KLDC, they would be my choices, but I was just very impressed with the extent to which KLDC worked with me and let me choose the sites based on my dive planning. There were a few trips where it was just me and my buddy on the boat - they go out with two.

My personal preference is the six packs, you aren't going to see me recommending anything larger, so that should be taken into consideration :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom