Help with Grad School Presentation - DCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raoulsttexas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend of mine is getting her master's in Occupational Therapy. In one of her classes, she has to give a presentation and has chosen "diving physiology & decompression sickness", and has asked me to help her out.

Criteria: 10 mins max; 10 power point slides max; 3 "scholarly" resources cited; documentation of current on-going research on the topic.

So, this is not to be a signs and symptoms list. It needs to show what makes DCI even a potential hazard. So, I'm thinking start with Boyle's law and move forward.

1. Any quick an easy visual demo's of Boyle's law that doesn't include bringing in a bell jar and a hoover into the classroom? We can imbed a video into the PP if necessary.
2. Although we can probably use the Rescue diver manual for certain citations, the majority need to be "medical-based" documents. I found this on DAN's site:
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=65
If you know of other / better articles, I'd really appreaciate it.
3. I'm thinking Boyle's law, into what happens to gases in the bloodstream while at depth/pressue. Then into Nitrogen. Then into what Nitrogen / gases / bubbles can do while ascending / decreasing pressure.

I am by no means a guru on this stuff. I've just geeked out during training by reading various things from Padi, DAN and any magazines that hit the subject. So, please feel free to throw a few suggestions if you've done a report like this or have more knowledge than I do (which isn't hard).

The Rubicon foundation has a repository for scientific publications concerning diving: www.rubicon-foundation.org; have a look at their 'resource room' for recommended articles. If you can spare a lot of time and want to find out more, read Mark Powell's 'Deco for Divers' book.

Hi raoulsttexas,

The best recent review article on DCI is in Lancet.
Vann RD, Butler FK, Mitchell SJ, Moon RE. Decompression illness. Lancet. 2011 Jan 8;377(9760):153-64. PMID: 21215883

If you have a hard time accessing the article through your university, send me an email gene (dot) hobbs (at) duke (dot) edu.

Another nice table that was created recently can be found in Wikipedia.

Our suggested reading list on DCS may also be interesting for you (here)

Does this help get you started? If you need more on that part, I can go on forever...

Hi raoulsttexas,

The best recent review article on DCI is in Lancet.
Vann RD, Butler FK, Mitchell SJ, Moon RE. Decompression illness. Lancet. 2011 Jan 8;377(9760):153-64. PMID: 21215883

If you have a hard time accessing the article through your university, send me an email gene (dot) hobbs (at) duke (dot) edu.

Another nice table that was created recently can be found in Wikipedia.

Our suggested reading list on DCS may also be interesting for you (here)

Does this help get you started? If you need more on that part, I can go on forever...

Wow....yes. Thanks.

I am having trouble getting that first article. Since I'm not the one in school, I will see if my friend can access it via her university. I'm going to send you a private email nonetheless. Thanks!

A friend of mine is getting her master's in Occupational Therapy. In one of her classes, she has to give a presentation and has chosen "diving physiology & decompression sickness", and has asked me to help her out.

raoulsttexas,

A quick unsolicited comment. A *huge* part of the learning that should happen with these kinds of graduate school projects occurs when a student does the research herself, decides herself the important topics to present and discuss, and organizes and scripts the presentation herself. Doing these things while still a student prepares one for professional life after graduation. My personal view is, you're not really helping your "friend" if you do her work for her. FWIW.

Safe Diving,

Ronald

raoulsttexas,

A quick unsolicited comment. A *huge* part of the learning that should happen with these kinds of graduate school projects occurs when a student does the research herself, decides herself the important topics to present and discuss, and organizes and scripts the presentation herself. Doing these things while still a student prepares one for professional life after graduation. My personal view is, you're not really helping your "friend" if you do her work for her. FWIW.

Safe Diving,

Ronald

Ronald,
I appreciate that and fully understand and agree with you. My intent is not to do the presentation for her, nor to spoon-feed the info to her. She became interested in the subject while my wife and I were living with them for a few weeks during a recent move. During that time, I was taking a rescue course and also practicing skills in their pool. Given that I know more about this than she currently does and being a DAN member, I figured I could help her source materials that SHE can read and learn from. Basically, I'm trying to point her in a direction of good information without having to start with Goggle / Wiki.

Sure, I could probably whip out an uncited version of her report fairly quickly. And I've verbally given her most of what I know and what my version might look like, but that was just during the phase of her choosing her topic a few months ago. From here on out, she's doing the reading....and the power point.

Again, I appreciate what you are saying.

Just a quick note, Henry's law applies here also.

You may want to review the US Navy Manual Version 5. It is readily available online & presents more of a "layman's" approach.

One other question, the heading says DCI and your text is on DCS--that might be a starting point all by itself.

Back
Top Bottom