Best regulator to eliminate dry mouth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot advise on the best reg but I have found the following helps to reduce it.

A day or two before you go diving drink plenty of water so that you are well hydrated before the diving day.

On the diving day, drink a few sips of water regularly- not too much or you'll be running to the bogs but enough ( half a mouthful). Make a point of drinking just before you start assembling kit and also while you are assembling kit.

Just before you start thinking about putting on drysuit/wetsuit, go to the toilet.
After the visit ( :) ) put on your undersuit/drysuit slowly and then take a moment to relax - avoid kitting up too quickly, give yourself time to relax.

Take a mouthful of water and start your dive. Main thing to remember is to avoid rushing.

Reactions: Doc
Switch to a rebreather and dry mouth, cottonmouth, etc become a memory of how not to dive. There are a few gimmicks out there such as Sherwood's Oasis, but their moisture vents a more vortex generators which cut into the efficiency of the reg whilst deeper diving.

Dale

No regulator can eliminate dry mouth. The best you can do is use a second stage that is made of metal not plastic. This will form condensation inside the regulator as you breath delaying the onset of dry mouth and reducing the severity.

If you switch to a full face mask, you can breath through your nose conditioning the air. I use an AGA mask and never get dry mouth, or salt water mouth, or mask fog!

I second the Sherwood Oasis. It has a moisture retention part in the second stage. Great reg.

The only thing that I ever found that works is to put half a menthol cough drop under your upper lip and dive with it there. I used to spend 4-5 hours per day for work breathing scuba. If I did not do this, I was miserable in an hour or so. It makes an incredible difference.

I used sugarless cough drops.

Try Oasis mouthwash before the dive. Wally's pharmacia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom