Not to miss dive spots?? Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9supratt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now I'm curious to know what dive spots I make sure not to miss while in Key Largo. I will be doing 4 day dives and maybe a night dive while there.

So what should I definitely see and make sure not to miss?

I was already told to go to French Reef, Snapper Ledge and the Benwood.....

More great dive sites than you can dive in 4 days...:D

Upper Keys Reefs:​
Alligator Reef
Benwood
Carysfort Reef
Davis Ledge
North Dry Rocks
The Elbow
French Reef
Grecian Rocks
Hen & Chickens
Conch Reef
Molasses Reef
Pickles Reef
Snapper Ledge

Wrecks:
Deep: Speigel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Eagle
Shallow: Benwood, City of Washington

Which dive sites your dive boat goes to will vary with their location. Dive boats departing from Garden Cove Marina or Bayside through Adams cut will go to the northern sites like the Christ of the Abyss Statue but won't go as far south as Crocker, Davis, Hens & Chickens, or Alligator. Conversely, Dive boats out of Tavernier will not go as far north as the Christ Statue or Carysfort, etc.

Most of the reefs have multiple mooring balls. You can dive a different unique area of Molasses Reef everyday and not see all of it.

Welcome to Key Largo! While in town, do stop by and say hi :wavey:

Last edited:
Well said Elena, geeez, trying to define dive sites....so many good choices, just dive!

Thanks mselenaous....way more spots I can do in just one day :-(

Where am I supposed to go to say hi?

There are the "usual suspects" which are great, and you have listed them (but you left out Molasses, which is a truly beautiful site and better overall than the Benwood).  However, if I were to list three "DON'T MISS" things, they would be, in this order:

1.  Carysfort reef, both shallow (15-30) and deeper (60), and even snorkelling around the light which has a large very shallow reef area close by.  I think it is the best of the best.  You could do your entire morning with one deeper dive, one shallow dive, and snorkelling during your surface interval.  You absolutely will not be disappointed.  Use an operator located on North Key Largo.  I think Elena above could hook you up with Carysfort.    

I would rate Molasses as almost equal to Carysfort in terms of beauty.  it is the most popular dive for good reason, but sometimes gets crowded on weekends.  There is also a 60' or so dive at Molasses.  I would rate this right behind Carysfort if you cannot get over to Carysfort.

Then do an afternoon trip to The Elbow/Benwood or French/Benwood (I prefer Elbow) combo, then a night dive anywhere, and you would have an incredible day. 

2.  Drift diving with Conch Republic Divers on Tavernier Creek.  They are the only operator I know that regularly schedules drift dives, on a reef that is about 50 sloping down to 75 and on the edge of the gulf stream.  Let me tell you that dive is a real treat.  They then give you a second dive on a shallow reef, and they know a great assortment.   However, I don't know if they go as far north as Molasses.  The shallower reefs south of Pennekamp can be really excellent, but they are not at the same level as Molasses/Carysfort.  If you did the dive with Conch, you would have to drive to another operator to do the Pennekamp reefs for your afternoon dives.

3.  If you are qualified, the Spiegel Grove.   With your # of dives I would recommend getting a dive guide which most shops can supply at modest cost.  This is a deeper dive and can have strong currents.  Sometimes you drop and drift to the wreck, and then drift away for your ascent.  It is an advanced dive in every sense of the word, but not really dangerous if you do not penetrate the wreck, which is so big you cannot even cover the exterior in one dive.  If you want a five dive day (including your night dive) with one on the Spiegel, you have watch your dive plan because you might be pushing the limits (big help if you dive nitrox and keep the other dives to the 30-40' reefs).  That being said, if it is your first time in Key Largo, the true magic is in the reefs.  Stick with the reefs and you can't go wrong.

And do not forget the outstanding shore diving the upper Keys has to offer!

Chug
*snicker*
:troll:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom