Trip report - Key Largo, October 25-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachita

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been wanting to get certified as a wreck diver and dive the Spiegel Grove and I recently had the opportunity to cross both off my diving dream list.

I travel solo and had a scary experience a few years back, so now I research every destination and dive op extensively. ScubaBoard is great for that, and the many threads on Key Largo dive ops were very helpful. I narrowed down the list of dive ops to three and phoned each one. Before calling, I had visited several Key Largo wreck websites and had seen that the three most popular wrecks were the Spiegel Grove, the Duane and the Bibb. The Bibb was listed in some sites as a 135 foot dive, and since that is past recreational limits, I asked specifically about this when calling. Two of the the ops said that "it was OK" but Ocean Divers said they weren't diving the Bibb any longer because of safety issues, and that settled my choice of op on the spot. For accommodation I chose Marina del Mar because it's next door to Ocean Divers. All it took was a 3 minute walk from my room to the dive shop.

I can't say enough about Ocean Divers - they were very professional and safety conscious and the service was outstanding. Eric, my wreck instructor, was fabulous - a total pro, very knowledgeable and a lot of fun as well. The class room portion of the course was very thorough - we spent an afternoon practicing reel and penetration skills and reviewing the complete manual. Their large boats are comfortable and the crew were helpful and very focused on safety. There were never more than 8 divers on any trip and people were able to dive their own plan and profile. I had some challenges with my BC and the feedback I received made me decide that it was time to upgrade my equipment. I was so impressed with everyone at Ocean Divers that I gladly gave them the business and bought a new BC, a regulator and a dive computer. They even drove me to a bank so I could withdraw money from my checking account for my purchases.

The diving was everything I had expected and more. The dive on the Spiegel Grove is now my all-time favourite dive and I can't wait to get back to explore more of this enormous wreck. The weather was OK, but the week before there had been a hurricane elsewhere in the Caribbean and the sea was still quite choppy with visibility of about 30 to 50 feet. Getting out of the boat on the first day was a big challenge but conditions improved each day and by the third day exits were much easier.

This was my first dive in the Keys and I was amazed at the size of the fish. I usually dive in Curacao and I saw the same species, but everything is much larger in the Keys. Highlights included a monster, 250 lb grouper on the Benwood wreck, an 8 foot Southern stingray lounging on the sand, and a pristine 10 foot high brain coral which served as a 'parking lot' to hundreds of yellowtail snappers lined up in neat rows from top to bottom.

The Marina del Mar was OK: it was convenient and inexpensive. The room was clean and the front desk staff was very friendly. Wi Fi was available only in the lobby and terrace, which was perfect as I didn't want to hear from my office. :D They only offer a very modest buffet breakfast, which is fine if you don't like to dive with a heavy stomach.

Finding healthy, 'lite' food in Key Largo is not easy. I finally found Eco Eats in the mall across the road from the Holiday Inn. Their food is delicious. For the rest, I ended up eating at Sharkey's, which is next door to Ocean Divers, and has the absolute best fish tacos I have ever eaten.

Can't wait to go back: I am now planning a trip to do an advanced nitrox course. Dive op recommendations for this specialty are welcome!

Last edited:
Yes they do have the best fish tacos ever.... LOL...

glad you had a nice time

Copy and paste from original post"

" Two of the the ops said that "it was OK" but Ocean Divers said they weren't diving the Bibb any longer because of safety issues,"

Anyone? MSELANEOUS? GARY? GUY? Safety issue's diving the Bibb?????

Thank you all for your replies! I had a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to my next trip to Key Largo, which I hope will be soon.

Rescue Diver: to clarify, the answer "it was OK" was given in reference to my comment about the 135' depth, not to whether it was safe or not to dive the Bibb. Ocean Divers said they weren't doing the Bibb any longer because of safety issues, which made my question about the depth moot and reassured me that they were focused on safety. If I recall correctly, the fact that the Bibb is lying sideways, which makes it easier to become disoriented, was one of the reasons they gave for not visiting.

I think that for dive ops who must deal with divers of all levels of experience and competency, setting limits like OD did with the Bibb is good. Divers with ample experience to dive in such environments can easily find ops that cater to their level.

The scary experience I alluded to at the beginning of my thread occurred just after I was certified as an OW diver. Technically, the op did nothing wrong: I was certified and thus qualified to go on the dive, but because of my inexperience I did not realize that I would be exposed to diving in a strong current with little visibility - conditions I had never experienced and for which I had no training.

I realize that the responsibility for diving to my level of experience and to my limits is mine. But as a newbie you don't know what you don't know, and having dive ops, like OD, take the conservative and prudent route to keep divers who may not know any better from being exposed to more than they should, is excellent.

Johanna

Last edited:
Excellent report Johanna, glad you had a great time and the folks at OD are very good.

I realize that the responsibility for diving to my level of experience and to my limits is mine. But as a newbie you don't know what you don't know, and having dive ops, like OD, take the conservative and prudent route to keep divers who may not know any better from being exposed to more than they should, is excellent.
+1 :thumb:

Copy and paste from original post"

" Two of the the ops said that "it was OK" but Ocean Divers said they weren't diving the Bibb any longer because of safety issues,"

Anyone? MSELANEOUS? GARY? GUY? Safety issue's diving the Bibb?????

The issues with diving the Bibb is it's depth. The Bibb is the sister ship to the Duane. Both sit in about 130' in the sand. The Duane sits upright with deck about 100' and most of the structure is above that with the top of the stack at about 67'. The Bibb on the other hand, landed on it's side in the sand at about 135'. Because it is on it's side, exploring the main structure means your average depth during the dive is at about 118+ or so. Issues are that this gives you a much shorter bottom time and because of it's side position, easier to get disoriented. Additionally, it is a popular fishing spot and the vessel has alot of monofilament line to contend with. I have yet to dive the Bibb without cutting off and balling up a wad of this trash. To dive the SG or the Duane, all dive ops require AOW certification (or higher) or be under direct supervision/instruction of an insured dive pro. Key Largo Dive Center, where I work, will take folks to dive the Bibb, if every diver is Deep Diver certified or higher (tech, deco, etc.) (or in a deep diver training course). With these requirements, it is harder to fill a big boat with all divers having adequate training and gas management skills. To dive the Bibb, you will have to go with a shop with smaller boats and/or a dive op that runs tech trips. The Bibb is rarely crowded since fewer boats go there, while sometimes there may be 50+ divers on the SG or the Duane since all of the boats go there at sometime during the week. The Bibb is a nice dive, but you'll have more bottom time and see the same structures on the Duane.

Excellent report Johanna, glad you had a great time and the folks at OD are very good.

+1 :thumb:

The issues with diving the Bibb is it's depth. The Bibb is the sister ship to the Duane. Both sit in about 130' in the sand. The Duane sits upright with deck about 100' and most of the structure is above that with the top of the stack at about 67'. The Bibb on the other hand, landed on it's side in the sand at about 135'. Because it is on it's side, exploring the main structure means your average depth during the dive is at about 118+ or so. Issues are that this gives you a much shorter bottom time and because of it's side position, easier to get disoriented. Additionally, it is a popular fishing spot and the vessel has alot of monofilament line to contend with. I have yet to dive the Bibb without cutting off and balling up a wad of this trash. To dive the SG or the Duane, all dive ops require AOW certification (or higher) or be under direct supervision/instruction of an insured dive pro. Key Largo Dive Center, where I work, will take folks to dive the Bibb, if every diver is Deep Diver certified or higher (tech, deco, etc.) (or in a deep diver training course). With these requirements, it is harder to fill a big boat with all divers having adequate training and gas management skills. To dive the Bibb, you will have to go with a shop with smaller boats and/or a dive op that runs tech trips. The Bibb is rarely crowded since fewer boats go there, while sometimes there may be 50+ divers on the SG or the Duane since all of the boats go there at sometime during the week. The Bibb is a nice dive, but you'll have more bottom time and see the same structures on the Duane.

OK, I was just wondering if something happened to the Bibb since the last time I was on it. Same wreck but less dived due to depth and fishing debris...

Elena, great report on the Bibb's situation! I really enjoyed the two dives I did on the Duane and it's good to know that because of the similarities between the two ships I didn't really miss out by not diving the Bibb. I'm looking forward to going back for many more dives on the Duane & the SG - probably in May 2012.

Regards,
Johanna

Bibb is a fantastic dive. It's quite a bit different than the Duane. While Duane is covered in growth Bibb looks like it was just submerged. Lots of marine life throughout the ship.

Dives at these depths and conditions are advanced. Both are good when the currents agree, but can be undiveable when currents are ripping.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom