How are the diving conditions in SoCal now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,
Going down to SoCal this week and was planning on getting in the water. Does anybody know what are the current conditions in Laguna Beach area? Wondering if it's worth going to storage getting all my gear and taking it down to SoCal.

Thanks

Rough today with another storm predicted for the middle of the week.

But shore-diveable? Viz?

PS. Like your signature

THanks

If you are comfortable in Nor.Cal. shore diving, then yes it is doable. Problem with Laguna shore diving is not always the surf but run off from city streets during and after the rain. And we are have that kind of steady rain that dumps junk into our playground. Check out this site for Laguna dive conditions from one source:
Dive Conditions in Laguna Beach California

Noticed that they did not post anything for today which usually means that a shop diver did NOT get wet...not good :depressed:. You can always call them to verify.
Now getting on a boat to go over to Catalina will give you clearer water if you have the time. Enjoy.

Yesterday Palos Verdes, the point between Lanuday Bay and Honeymoon Cove AND close to Flat Rock were the lowest in viz I've seen in 30 months. 2ft in most areas opening up for short periods to 7ft. Still some whales real close to the kelp!

Hey guys,
Going down to SoCal this week and was planning on getting in the water. Does anybody know what are the current conditions in Laguna Beach area? Wondering if it's worth going to storage getting all my gear and taking it down to SoCal.
Dude, it's raining down here. Dive conditions generally suck with this kind of weather. Then there's the "run off" to contend with.

I recommend that you leave your gear in storage for the Thanksgiving holidays. Eat turkey. Stay dry. Watch football. Be happy.

i used to leave down there and dive laguna, catalina, etc...yes the rain is not good, but interestingly i had been hearing good things about recent conditions..
maybe it was really good, but only until the rains started

i used to leave down there and dive laguna, catalina, etc...yes the rain is not good, but interestingly i had been hearing good things about recent conditions..
maybe it was really good, but only until the rains started
Yes, it was quite good until the rains started.

Catalina Divers Supply sent me this:
After a couple winter storms have passed, the dive conditions remain to be some of the best in years. This seasons fall diving has impressed even the most loyal Avalon divers and just keeps getting better. We will be open all week long at the Avalon Underwater Park for those of you making Thanksgiving Diving plans... The conditions will change at any time- Don't Miss Out!

If the rain would just stop on the weekends.
Seems like the last 3 or 4 weekends the weather has been rainy and the charter boats have canceled out.
Sure would like to get over to "the park" soon.

Back
Top Bottom