White Point Landslide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was born in San Pedro and spent most of my adult life there. I began free diving and later scuba at White Point. It was one mile from my apartment and a relatively easy dive compared to most of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. For night diving, I would park under the palm tree just off Paseo del Mar and hike down the fire road. The landslide of the past few weeks has washed away the area. I went down there this afternoon with Merry and Jeff Shaw to get a first-hand look.

My old parking space is now twenty feet below street level

Crews remove asphalt

The beginning of the White Point Artificial Reef

I am used to seeing news vans every time someone jumps off Pt. Fermin, but this was big news this week.

Wow, I've only done Whitepoint 3x but it was one of my most memorable. Those christmas landscapes were one-of-a-kind. Did the landslide effect any of the surf zone where the sulfur vents are (it is sulfur, right?) or just the parking lot and entrance?

Nice photos as usual. The last time my bike club rode through there I managed to find a one foot drop on Paseo del Mar. Not usual rodie protocol. Is access to the state park compromised from the Western side?

Wow, I've only done Whitepoint 3x but it was one of my most memorable. Those christmas landscapes were one-of-a-kind. Did the landslide effect any of the surf zone where the sulfur vents are (it is sulfur, right?) or just the parking lot and entrance?

Nice photos as usual. The last time my bike club rode through there I managed to find a one foot drop on Paseo del Mar. Not usual rodie protocol. Is access to the state park compromised from the Western side?
The parking lot is OK so far. The restrooms in the upper lot are closed and port-o-potties have been brought in. The baseball field has not been damaged, but the cliff is made of compressed sand, not the shale and limestone found elsewhere around the peninsula. It wouldn't surprise me if the entire east side of White Point slid in. Great video on CNN.com

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2011/11/21/vosil-la-highway-collapse.kabc.html

Wow! This is pretty crazy!

I had no idea this happened, when did it start to slide and will they try to fix the situation.

Is it possible to get to the lower parking lot? Or is it still a mess?

Nevermind, I found a map show that this happened on the otherside of the point. And it won't matter with the surf this weekend anyway.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom