Keeping spool and SMB separated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
To save pocket space, I've thought I could leave only the SMB itself inside and hang a fingerspool with a double boltsnap to a D-ring (lower right).

The idea is to use the same double boltsnap to tie spool and SMB on deployment. Is there anything wrong with this?

I set my mind in "Final Destination"/"Accidents and Incidents" mode but I can't find the exact way this setup will kill me.

Yeah, no problems with this.

Tie a big loop in the end of your spool/line and you won't need a double-ender. Just loop the line around the DSMB and back through the loop. Connection made, no knots or snaps required. See pics below...

I keep my reel on my butt d-ring with a double-ender. DSMB lives bungeed on the bottom of my backplate. When I want to deploy the DSMB, I get the spool and remove the double-ender. This gets clipped, alone, to my left chest d-ring. I get the DSMB and connect the spool using the loop. I deploy the DSMB. I then retrieve the double-ender and use is a 'winder' to ascend with the spool.

That also means you still have the double-ender to 'lock-off' the reel at your safety stop etc.

2951911403_c55d13fc3d.jpg
2952762544_bf00de1814.jpg

Last edited:
I like the smaller loop on the end as a grab point for simple removal. Thanks for the photos.

Thanks. Just some little questions.

DSMB lives bungeed on the bottom of my backplate.

Does this mean that the bungee itself is fixed to the plate but the SMB is just held by the bungee's pressure? i.e.: to release SMB just grab and tug?

When the Spool is stored, the line is tied to the bolt snap by either loop, right?

Yep, if you have a suitable backplate, you just tie two short loops of bungee into the pre-drilled holes. Liftbag/DSMB rolls up and slides into those loops. Reach back and pull it out when you need it.

images

For the spool, one of the loops goes through the double-ender, pulled tight, then clipped off onto the spool. Gate should face outwards. Other end of the double-ender clips to your harness d-ring.

ATS finger spool.jpg

I like the smaller loop on the end as a grab point for simple removal. Thanks for the photos.

A little investigation gave me this. But I'm not sure of how correct it is.

"A tip for those of you who may not know. You can create a small loop at the end end of the line (after the big loop was already created) that will create a lopsided big loop. The knot from the small loop will separate the line of the big loop when pulled tight. This small separation will be helpful when trying to pass the spool through it when wearing think gloves. It also gives a small loop to hook the double ender onto. This small loop is sometimes called a Jasper loop. Below is a picture of this the big loop and the small loop at the end of the line." - precisiondiving.net

Yeah, no problems with this.

Tie a big loop in the end of your spool/line and you won't need a double-ender. Just loop the line around the DSMB and back through the loop. Connection made, no knots or snaps required. See pics below...

I keep my reel on my butt d-ring with a double-ender. DSMB lives bungeed on the bottom of my backplate. When I want to deploy the DSMB, I get the spool and remove the double-ender. This gets clipped, alone, to my left chest d-ring. I get the DSMB and connect the spool using the loop. I deploy the DSMB. I then retrieve the double-ender and use is a 'winder' to ascend with the spool.

That also means you still have the double-ender to 'lock-off' the reel at your safety stop etc.

2951911403_c55d13fc3d.jpg
2952762544_bf00de1814.jpg

It seems easier to attach the bolt snap to the small loop so you can drop it through the SMB ring, put your hand through the big loop, pull the spool through and then detach the bolt snap.

It seems easier to attach the bolt snap to the small loop so you can drop it through the SMB ring, put your hand through the big loop, pull the spool through and then detach the bolt snap.

Yeah this is how we do it in dry gloves otherwise it takes forever to feed it through.

"Jasper Loop"...?? Well, you live and learn! :)

It's a good idea. Can be very tricky to loosen otherwise, even without thick gloves on.

Others know this as a Woody - named after a Florida cave diver Woody Jasper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom