Are all BP and wings interchangeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know I've seen threads on this subject before, but I can't seem to find them.

My question is, are wings made by all manufacturers compatable with other manufacturers BPs? If so, which ones will without the need to alter the BP, wing, or using duct tape/bubble gum to make it work.

Thanks in advance,

For the most part it is true. Some of the older wings like my dive rite travel wing doesn't have bolt holes so you need to have a plate with slots for cam bands, not all of them have them, the vast majority do though. Some of the zeagle wings that are older have issues, but most of the new ones work just fine.
If you're mixing like dive rite, oxycheq, halcyon, OMS, Deep Sea Supply, HOG, etc those are all compatible with each other. Look at the pictures of the plates and wings. The new plates will ALL have bolt holes with 11 inch centers which is the modern standard. All of the new wings to my knowledge have the grommets on center, and most of the plates have cam band slots.
If you're looking for a new plate, I HIGHLY recommend you grab this
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
It's price is unbeatable new and it's quality gear

Thanks for the info and link. I'm looking to maybe get one for the gf for Xmas.

I think that they are "all" compatible when it comes to the 11" OC holes, but where they may differ is in the placement of cam-band slots (if they have them).

I started with a full rig from one company, so of course I knew all the parts would be compatible. When I later added a wing of a different brand, I had to check that the cam-band slots would line up, as that spacing is not "universal." In my case the new wing did fit fine, but it was not a given.

Blue Sparkle

PS: If you are buying a rig for your girlfriend, and if she is either on the shorter side or is taller but "short-waisted," then you might want to consider a smaller (shorter) plate than the "standard" size. I'm 5'5" but short-waisted (i.e. longer legs and shorter torso), and a "standard" plate is too tall for me and makes the whole rig much less comfortable. When I went to buy my own (after renting a "standard" sized one) I made sure to get a shorter plate.... ahh, much better :)

Just something to consider depending on your girlfriend's size.

You dive a DSS rig don't you? She's 5'2" so she'd be in a small plate. I love my DSS rig, but I wanted to see if I could take advantage of some of the deals going around, but I know not all manufacturers make different size plates.

Also, I was looking into getting an AL plate for myself and would like to be able to use my existing wing if possible.

Hi koozemani,

Yes, I have a DSS rig, and I also do have a few non-DSS bits that I sometimes use with it. I would think that at 5'2" a "standard" plate would be rather tall and sub-optimal, unless she has a really long torso.

When I was shopping I found these possibilities (of course there may be others):

1) DSS small plate (~13" tall)
2) Halcyon small plate (~14" tall)
3) Oxycheq .... I think they had a smaller plate, but I can't remember for sure now
4) Agir-Brokk small plate (~14" tall) (but I did not find a US source, so it's a bit less convenient to order, but doable and they do speak English for ordering)

On the using of your wing on a non-DSS plate - if it were me I would take a close look at the cam-band slots and make sure those line up. I have done the reverse of you, and I have an Oxycheq wing that I sometimes use with my DSS plate. It fits, but since there is no standard cam-band-slot spacing I would want to check any specific combination individually to be sure.

Even the "foreign" plate/STA I have has the 11" OC holes, but the slots seem to vary on plates/wings.

As a side note: I just recently got a DSS Kydex plate (yes, size Small!) and I can't wait to try it out! :) I find the 13" size to fit me really well. 14" is okay too, but not quite as good (on me). A "standard" 15" plate is a pain, because with the waist band around my waist, the plate is actually up high enough that the shoulder straps come "down" to my shoulders, and also it puts the tank up rather high.

And too, there are so many times in sports where as a female, you have to "make do" with equipment that is optimally designed for men (i.e. larger/taller/wider/etc.), that it just gets irritating, and I really appreciate it when companies make gear with a selection of sizes, so that I can get something that actually fits me. Thank you, thank you to those manufacturers!

I'm looking at a Zeagle backplate and harness, but looking at getting a dive right wing. Is that a do-able combination?

I'm looking at a Zeagle backplate and harness, but looking at getting a dive right wing. Is that a do-able combination?

If you get the new models then yes it should work fine. The current line of Zeagle backplates have plenty of mounting holes and spacing to work with most wings.

I have used DiveRite, AGIR, Hollis and Scuba-Pro plates. The DiveRite, Hollis and Scuba-Pro all have cam slots that line up with my Oxycheq Mach V wings. The AGIR has no slots but has 11" center holes so an STA works fine. I have also used an STA with the other three brands and they also use 11" centre holes. I have played with Halcyon plates and the slots do not line up but again they have 11" center holes so an STA would be fine. Another board member uses a DSS plate with Oxycheq wing and apparently slots line up fine. The DSS wing has sewn in "STA" so cannot be used with an STA but of course with a DSS plate one is not required. Good luck with the shopping.

In the world of doubles pretty much any wing will bolt up to any plate, all you need is grommets in the wing @ 11" centers and holes in the plate @ 11" centers. Virtually all doubles wings have these features and virtually all plates have at least one set of holes at 11" centers.

To make a blanket statement for singles that any plate and any wing will work is simply wrong. Cam Strap slot position in various makes of wings and plates differ, there are *Zero* standards for back plates.

Some plates don't even have camband slots at all. Mixing and matching plates and wings can lead to grief, and defeat some useful features built into "systems"

Just like somebody buying their first PC is far better off buying a preconfigured machine vs buying a motherboard, tower, power supply, video card, hard drive etc. and trying to make them work the first time BP&W buyer is, IMO, far better off buying a package from a single source that was designed to work together.

Most package deals are offered at a discount too.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom