Sherwood AVID BCD Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

owsi-richard

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced a failure of the end cap on the exhaust valve mounted on the left shoulder of the AVID BCD? Ever had one come loose or fall apart? Just checking...

I have had no problems with mine that I have used to teach 6 classes a week for 2 years

YES, last weekend I experienced this failure. I will be reviewing this incident first with my local dive shop (Scuba2000) and then i will take the discussion to Sherwood. My wife has the Luna with the same dump valve at the end of the BC inflator hose. This was a catastrophic equipment failure with no warning. The severity is 10.
A secondary locking mechanism (cotter pin or similar) should be used to ensure the threads don't walk-out.

I also had it happen sitting on the quarry bottom. Could not ascend! Just heard bubbles coming out. Luckily I wasn't over-weighted and powered to the platform right above me. Definitely a 10 severity. Luckily my DS had a Dacor part that fit. I do like the avid BC very much, but its the older design.

It happened to me at 100+ feet diving solo. It appears that the end of the "cap" just came unscrewd. By myself in not great visability, it was a test of how to stay calm and think through the situation without panic. I am going to post a story on the "lessons learned" forum.
Now, does anyone know where to find a parts diagram to replace what was lost? It appears to be an easy fix but I don't know what parts came out aside from the end cap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom