Ports and Domes and Nikons ... Oh My!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VicScubaVentures

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I'm not new to UW photography, but am moving from an Oly 5050z to taking my D90 "down there" in an Ike housing. I'm going to be using my 16-85mm lens and have bought the 8" dome and appropriate port to work with this lens.

My question is this ... will I need to change the port if I eventually add a different lens? Ike's website says the 5510.28 port is good for lenses "up to 5.1 inches" with a dome. Does this mean it's got everything from macro to wide angle covered? If someone offers to trade me lenses for a dive, what might work with my port / dome combo, and what will be a waste of effort?

Thanks,
Craig.

Macro ports usually have a flat lens not a dome.

Yes, for a macro lens you'd want a flat port. Ive used my Nikon 18-70MM under my 8 inch dome and it worked great. I also use my Tokina 10-17mm fisheye with the dome and 20mm extension ring.
It really depends on the lens.

And different lenses will need different extension rings.

With a dome port you need the front entrance pupil (sometimes called "nodal point") at the center of radius of the dome.
This keeps the lens looking perpendicular to the dome.

With a flat port you need to keep the port as short as possible to prevent vignetting and to keep the package compact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom