Wing and Harness advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without a doubt, the Pure harness. The uncluttered nature will be appreciated in the water.

+1 For the 'PURE'

I always advise going for the cheapest option first. Most divers end-up using a wing with a 'hogarthian/minimalist' harness. Some waste money on complicated alternatives before Ebay'ing them and simplifying. It's more financially prudent to opt for the cheap one, then upgrade if necessary. Unless you have some serious shoulder/arm immobility, you won't need a release on the shoulder harness. You won't need shoulder pads, unless you're planning massive over-land trekking to get to shore diving locations. You certainly don't need a chest strap and umpteen D-Rings.

The 'Form' harness is an abomination. Made to appeal to new Wing users who think that 'more is more'... and find some comfort in turning their sleek wing into a cluttered BCD look-a-like. It's a marketing ploy to make more money out of innocent users who see a metal backplate and assume that it will be uncomfortable to wear. They aren't. All that padding adds buoyancy, meaning you'll need more weights. The straps and adjusters will dangle around and annoy the heck out of you. Pretty soon you'll be strapping bits of bungee cord around the harness to 'tame' all those annoying straps.

The 'Pro' offers the option of a left-shoulder quick release. That can be added to the 'PURE' for $10 DIY if you later decided you needed it. Same for the 'padded shoulder straps'. You can buy these cheap and fit afterwards, if needed. I doubt you'll need them though. The Pro also has 4 D-Rings on the shoulders. That's money for nothing. You don't need 4 D-Rings there, you need 2. Four are only fitted because the pads they've fitted don't allow proper adjustment of the D-Rings. This would be my second option - but to be honest, you can add all that functionality for a few bucks yourself.

Pure will do fine

My harness has shoulder pads and quick release buckles. I used to get bruises from the standard harness even with a thick undersuit. Admittedly esp. underwater rugby has convinced me that women do bruise much more easily.
The only time I use the quick releases is when taking off my wing before climbing into a RIB, but on those occasions it's really slick to be able to unbuckle the upstream release. It's esp. nice if the waves are rather sizeable.

I have a harness that resembles the "Pure" (it's just not ScubaPro brand), and I really like it. I was at first looking at the "fancy" harnesses with sternum straps and the like, and I initially thought: "Well, I like those things in a land backpack, and the harness looks like a backpack, so I want them." But I did a search here, and read a bunch of previous threads on the topic, and the people whose responses made the most sense to me were saying to try the basic (like the pure) harness first.

I did that..... and have never found a reason to change it. I love it! Even diving in Florida in the summer (so only a Lycra dive skin), it's very comfortable. And after I thought about it more: Unless you are hiking in fair distances to your dive sites, you are never really in the same "vertical" position as you are when wearing a backpack. For me, even with the shoulder straps "loose" (as they are recommended to be), they never want to come off, and mostly don't even touch me. And yet the rig is really secure (one of the things I love about it).

A bit less than a year ago, I hurt my shoulder and then got "frozen shoulder" on top of that. That's been fun :shakehead: When it got to the point where I could consider diving again, I figured I would probably have to add a quick-release buckle on the shoulder strap(s), so that I could still don & doff (shoulder was not only very sore but my range of motion was terrible). Then I decided to just try it first (brought a buckle and sewing kit along). I did loosen the shoulder straps a touch (but the rig still stays nicely in place - at least on me - due to the waist band and the crotch strap). As it turns out, by being a bit methodical, it was fine. And I even donned and doffed my rig in the water the first ten-or-so dives (then I discovered that striding in with it on was okay, so after that I only doffed in-water).

So... a bit long-winded, but just to say that my recommendation would be to try the most simple, basic harness first and see how it works for you in the water (presuming long hikes aren't a factor).

Blue Sparkle

as always some of us differ and it depends on your build. I wear a 52L jacket with a 38 inch waist. I can not comfortable wear a "pure" type harness. I don't use back padding but I need the chest strap to be able to keep the shoulders loose enough to get in and out. Not sure of you're buying time or why you are dead set on scubapro, but they have some fantastic deals on backplates and wings this time of year, from the $280-$350 range for backplate harness and wing.

I would get the form harness it looks more comfortableto me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom