Missing Oral Inflator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Ranger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been shopping for a new bcd and have noticed several that have made my list and rate high, also are missing the oral inflator. I've never had to use my oral inflator, other then maintance, it seems it would be nice to have when you need to float at the top and are out of air for whatever the reason. Any thoughts???

thanks

I've never heard of a BCD without an oral inflator. Where does the air come out when you press the deflate button?
Assuming you are talking about the Pro QD with i3 (or whatever it's called) it has a small oral inflator on the left side.

Are you looking at a BCD that has some form of AirSource or similar self-contained safe-second/inflator? I know to those who don't understand these devices, it may not be obvious that what is hanging from your BCD serves both purposes.

:idk:

I've been shopping for a new bcd and have noticed several that have made my list and rate high, also are missing the oral inflator. I've never had to use my oral inflator, other then maintance, it seems it would be nice to have when you need to float at the top and are out of air for whatever the reason. Any thoughts???

It has to have some kind of inflator, otherwise, you have no way to inflate at the surface if OOA.

I'm guessing the one you looked at had a semi-hidden tube-thing for manual inflation. I'd suggest not getting that because your life may someday depends on a rescuer (not necessarily your buddy) knowing how to inflate your BC.

Whatever you get should have something that looks and works like a standard inflator. This could be a normal inflator or an integrated safe-second like the SCUBAPro Air-II or Atomic SS-1. It really doesn't matter as long as it looks and works like a normal inflator.

flots.

I think we're talking about the same BCD, and again, I'm only viewing it online- I'll have to find a dive shop that has one in stock, This BCD is rated really good, but I didn't like the idea of no oral inflator.

I've never heard of a BCD without an oral inflator. Where does the air come out when you press the deflate button?
Assuming you are talking about the Pro QD with i3 (or whatever it's called) it has a small oral inflator on the left side.

I think we're talking about the same BCD, and again, I'm only viewing it online- I'll have to find a dive shop that has one in stock, This BCD is rated really good, but I didn't like the idea of no oral inflator.

Aqua Lung Pro QD i3 BCD -www.simplyscuba.com - YouTube Check out 2 minutes in on that video.

Dare I also say, do some more research here on backplate / wing setups. Much cheaper modular system. Whatever you do, don't rush the purchase, you have plenty of time. I made that mistake and am now putting most of it on e-bay (including my Pro QD)

Back
Top Bottom