S38 - any feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katherineaw

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm finally buying a singles rig and the LDS is recommending Hollis, I quite like the idea of not needing an STA. I've already got a doubles wing, so I'm only interested in this for the purposes of single tank diving (tropical and temperate, so I'm going for a larger lift capacity)

I did a bit of a search and I can't seem to find much about this wing... Anyone used or using one? Love it? Hate it?Thoughts?

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for posting. Since this is for tropical/temperate conditions, have you considered the S25 instead? There are some applications that require a larger single tank wing like the S38, while diving warmer water isn't typically one of them. Unless your gear and configuration requires it.

Your question about the S38/S25 without an STA, works fantastic and was designed to eliminate this extra piece of gear. No tank roll when using it, however it is also removable should you decide to use one later. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

I use an S38 with an STA. I'm sure I could get away with the S25 for recreational tropical dives, but I like the S38 because I can use it for up-north, single-tank, w/ stage bottles tech dives as well as my tropical single tank jaunts. The wing has served me well.

Mike

Thank you both! Just picked it up over the weekend. The lift may be slightly on the excessive side for my upcoming tropical holiday, but it will be great to be able to use a single tank in Melbourne when I'm jumping under a pier in future!

Nick - loved how easily the cam straps threaded in. I got the solo harness, but the rivet which should align with the holes in the BP seems to sit a bit off. I've had my current rig for so long, I can't remember, but will this settle as the whole thing gets a bit of use (hopefully this weekend)?

Thanks again!

Thank you both! Just picked it up over the weekend. The lift may be slightly on the excessive side for my upcoming tropical holiday, but it will be great to be able to use a single tank in Melbourne when I'm jumping under a pier in future!

Nick - loved how easily the cam straps threaded in. I got the solo harness, but the rivet which should align with the holes in the BP seems to sit a bit off. I've had my current rig for so long, I can't remember, but will this settle as the whole thing gets a bit of use (hopefully this weekend)?

Thanks again!

I use the solo harness also. The grommet just doesn't quite align with the BP top holes. It's not an issue though, either you force it a little to get a book screw (or other fastening device) to hold the wing to the plate or you leave the wing "free" and the harness strap position doesn't matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom