Key Largo Dive Boat Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am looking for good secondary dive boat operations if for whatever reason my primary for that day has to cancel the trip. What dive boats have the latest AM start times? Also wanted to get some info on tipping. I am thinking 20% split between the captain and crew. Is that a good tip? Do you split the tip evenly between them or would you tip the captain more?

Last edited:
On the subject of departure times, most dive ops here depart at 8am. Horizon Divers is the only one that departs at 9am. A few like Key Largo Dive Center and Sea Dwellers depart at 8:30 am.
Most of the afternoon trips depart at 1pm for most. Horizon and KLDC depart at 1:30pm.

On the subject of tips: All gratuities are greatly appreciated. Usually there is a common tip jar that gets split among the crew. You can also hand it directly to one of the crew, they discretely tuck it away until later for dividing it up. If someone specifically out-wowed you, then a small separate tip directly to them with a comment specifically about why is fine. If you are being guided or under instruction, that dive pro should be tipped separately from the crew.

Enjoy your diving in Key Largo!

On the subject of tips: All gratuities are greatly appreciated. Usually there is a common tip jar that gets split among the crew. You can also hand it directly to one of the crew, they discretely tuck it away until later for dividing it up. If someone specifically out-wowed you, then a small separate tip directly to them with a comment specifically about why is fine. If you are being guided or under instruction, that dive pro should be tipped separately from the crew.

Pardon the naive question, but I'm new at this. The jar is on the boat, in plain sight? Or is it at the dive shop and you drop something in as you walk out, after rinsing the gear, etc.?

Pardon the naive question, but I'm new at this. The jar is on the boat, in plain sight? Or is it at the dive shop and you drop something in as you walk out, after rinsing the gear, etc.?

Both, depending on where you dive.

I normally tip at the end of my trip inside the shop. I don't bring money on the boats.

Both actually, depends on the facility. If you don't see it, just ask. You can always leave a tip with the shop staff who will get it to the crew.

This usually leads to the next question. Should I tip after each trip or at the end of my multi-trip stay?
I recommend tipping the crew daily as the crew can change from day to day. If under instruction, at the end of your course.

I will be diving off Key Largo first week of December (private boat).
Could someone share the water temperatures this time of year for Benwood and Molasses sites ?
Yes, a more thorough dive recon will be performed a day or two before the dive, but while we are on the subject of Key Largo diving I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
AC

I tip at the end of each trip. If I have an AM and PM dive planned on the same boat, I will ask if the crew is the same. If it is, I'll tip at the end of the second trip. I usually try about 15 - 20% of the pre-discounted trip price (in the event I get a discount for 5 trips).

I prefer to tip at the end of my trip for a few reasons:

1) It is easier & more convenient and I don't have to have extra cash on my each day.
2) The crew can split it up as they see fit. They knew who was working and when i was there.
3) I believe waiting for the tip keeps customer service just a tad better.

To answer the unanswered portion of your post:
I just came back from Key Largo about a month ago - arrived there with a fresh c card (not ONE dive on it outside of the class). The best dives of the whole trip were actually through a company on Islamorada, Key Dives. Our guides were awesome (they put 2 in the water for the 6-8 of us diving), and the whole experience was just amazing. Nice, friendly staff, clean boats, great sites. If / when I get back down there, I won't dive with anyone else. It's about a 20 minute drive from Largo, depending on where you are, but totally worth it. One cool feature was that one of the guides carried a slate so she could tell you what you were looking at in real time - also handy when we came across a scorpion fish. Their prices were good, too! As to water temps, I can't speak for December, but when I dove 10/30/11, I wore no neoprene at all on a two tank trip to 65 and 60 feet and was comfortable the whole time.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom