Highlights from the Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Hoover

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

Diving has been great in Malibu these past few weeks. Winter is a great time to visit this area because the south facing shore is protected from prevailing NW swells. Visibility at Deer Creek and Deep Hole was 30 feet while the Dume Pinnacles had 40 foot vis on the outer wall. Hope everyone is enjoying the good conditions!

I've been working on filling in the highlights of my underwater shots. This one of a spanish shawl was taken with a single strobe and a precise angle to prevent shadows from the oral tentacles from obscuring the face or extra light from burning out the background. By shooting the same subject and pose several times I was able to choose which exposure had the best color resolution and balance.

383900_292486467451614_100000707906493_984108_1296115604_n.jpg

Awesome photo Craig. All of the photos you post are outstanding, and now I know why. I just finished reading the November issue of California Diving News with one of your photos on the cover. The article you wrote was very informative. I learned some new things about nudibranchs from the article.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom