Car keys and other small items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vmsgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
More silly questions... my excuse is being new at this...

What does one do with small items like car keys? I guess a small "dry pak" inside a BCD pocket would work, but some car keys have electronic components and I'm not sure those plastic bags are water proof beyond a few feet?

I made 2 dives to 110 and 100 on the Speigel Grove with my a Honda CRV electronic key in my swimsuit. While I do not recommend it, it still works. We usually leave our key in a dive bag, on top of a tire, under the matt in the truck bed, etc. Someone makes a combo lock that goes on a trailer hitch but I do not have the link for it.

I don't recall where I got them offhand, but I found a ziplock-type bag that's waterproof to 200 ft. And there are tons of small otter box type things that will work.

i have seen people using this

Witz "See-It Safe" Dry Case, Clear Small

The cars I have owned that had keys with electronics on them also came with a key just for the door with no electronics on it so I just use that.

I try to take the vehicle that has keyless entry and lock the keys in the car. I hate driving my car without keyless entry.

When diving dry and this is a big concern, I keep it in my suit in my thermal pockets.

Hide it on the outside of the car or park near sand and bury them in a bag under the car. I have also stacked rocks over them, hid them under leaves by a tree.

In some areas that have break in problems, leave the doors open and hide the keys inside in a difficult to reach spot (upholstery, under spare tire in trunk/hatch)

Inside the gas cap lid on you're car.

You might want to make sure you the door on you gas cap doesn’t lock with your doors… it doesn’t seem like there are many that don’t anymore. A more secure option is a key lock box:

Amazon.com: Master Lock 5400D Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock, 1-Pack: Home Improvement

Most vehicles have tie-down eyes just below the bumpers you can hook it on.

Back
Top Bottom