Black Friday 25 NOV 2011 Anacapa with the Peace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wow, what a day!!!

Started off a bit cool but once the sun came out, it was simply awesome. The trip was a 3/4-day, 3-dives with the Peace. The only thing about the short day is that you don't get to eat Joe's famous scrambled eggs for breakfast. Breakfast was cereal, munchies, that sort of thing. Between 1st and 2nd dives was a big pot of vegetable soup, I think that I had three bowls of that sucker. Lunch was bratwurst with pesto penne pasta, garlic bread, Caesar salad (with anchovies - isn't that awesome or what?) AND baked squash (I have half of the serving because nobody was eating it). The crazy thing was that you got two choices of cheese to go with your penne pasta/salad: feta or blue cheese. I had to do both, of course. Returning snack was brownie ala mode. But lets talk about diving.

First site was Gold Fish Point which was just down from Gold Fish Bowl. It took a bit to get there because the currents and swells were doing some crazy stuff. The captain had to make a couple of runs between the front and back sides before settling into Gold Fish Point. The dive was utterly spectacular - viz was easily 60-ft plus horizontal. Saw lots and lots of scallops.

Second dive was at Coral Reef. It was a colorful dive with beaucoupe brittlestars and one lone, fat sea lemon nudie with also big scallops. I saw an orange lipped scallop that was easily 10" across if not more. It was tucked underneath a crevice and that's probably why it survived to that big. There were some currents and heavy surge though.

Third dive was at Pelican Preserve. The anchor point was a bit further out so we didn't suck bottom at 20-ft. Viz at this site was about 40-ft, and I saw a massive green lip scallop that was jutting out from a rock. Rex took some good photos of it, hopefully he'll post some pics here. Also saw some gigantic sheepheads too. There was a mild current so we kept upcurrent of the anchor line and then drifted back to the anchor at the end of the dive.

Awesome dives and awesome food plus awesome company, who can ask for more?

Forgot to add, temp was running between 54-55F.

PS One of my dive buddies turned 21 and she got free brewski from the Peace boat. Isn't that awesome or what? Just in case nobody noticed, that word "awesome" had been in use heavily because the day was simply awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report HT. Looks like you had a great time. Peace sure is a nice boat with good food.
Seems like it is so hard to get some diving in these days with the holidays/family stuff, and then the rain.
Water temp 54-55, oh boy.

Great Report - I've gotta do the Peace one of these days.

Nice report, thanks. I was considering this trip, but we had the grandkids stay overnight instead. I am thinking of going on the Dec 17 trip to Santa Barbara island if the weather looks good. Have you gone to Santa Barbara on the Peace?

Nice report, thanks. I was considering this trip, but we had the grandkids stay overnight instead. I am thinking of going on the Dec 17 trip to Santa Barbara island if the weather looks good. Have you gone to Santa Barbara on the Peace?

I've been to Santa Barbara on the Peace before, actually the same trip as Blue Steal went on. I can't remember which spot the captain picked but we got to see purple hydrocoral at a mere 60-ft depth instead of the usual 90-ft plus depth.

I've been to Santa Barbara on the Peace before, actually the same trip as Blue Steal went on. I can't remember which spot the captain picked but we got to see purple hydrocoral at a mere 60-ft depth instead of the usual 90-ft plus depth.

I was on the same trip HT - I believe the site was called 7 fathoms or something like that. It was on the North West side of the island.

Thanks HT, I really have to make that trip someday.

You can also find purple hydrocoral on the "backside" of the Arch starting around 60'. Swim through the Arch from the shallow side and it will drop off into two walls that form a V as they spread out. You should see the purple coral as the walls start to part.

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom