Transpac vs BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lived

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I a relatively new diver, only dive in warm water, 75F and above. Usually dive in 3mm full wetsuit & single 12L aluminium tank only. Would like buy my first BCD but cant decide between transpac or BP. I have only used rented jacket BCD in all my previous dives.

Would like to seek advice on what to consider, the pros & cons?

Thank you.

A little more info on your stature and physical condition please. Suggestions vary based for a 36 Kg/80 Lb female that stands 150 cm/4'11" tall or a 100 Kg guy that has to ride Business Class to get in the seat. Also, what do you like and dislike about the BCs you have worn so far?

Last edited:
Ya know..... I have both Alum and SS Halcyon systems and just recently bought the Scubapro X-Tek form harness......love it! I dive with it now exclusively.

A little more info on your stature and physical condition please. Suggestions vary based on a 36 Kg/80 Lb female that stands 150 cm/4'11" tall or a 100 Kg guy that has to ride Business Class to get in the seat. Also, what do you like and dislike about the BCs you have worn so far?

I thought it was an either/or question. :crafty:

why does everyone seem to think that the transpac is not as stable or streamlined? With single tanks, they can actually be MORE stable than a backplate because there is nothing for the tank to rock on as a pivot point if you're not using a STA.
To the OP. If you want the transpac style harness you can get the "transplate" from diverite which is the same harness, you will be harassed on this forum and many others for it, but there is nothing wrong with it. If you are not travelling all that much, then I would recommend getting a SS backplate so you can ditch the weightbelt, as far as the harness goes, you can get whatever you like. Again the one piece harness is the preferred harness on here, but for my build I can not wear one. I prefer the DiveRite deluxe harness which is similar to the transplate but sans padding. some great deals this weekend from diveright in scuba and northeast scuba supply

Thank you for all the replies.
I am 177cm/5'9.5", 60kg. Currently using 2 x 2lbs weight. Will be using single tanks at least for the next 18 - 24mths. I would like to do technical diving but till I have more experience with diving.

The jacket rides up & down all as I dive, constantly re-adjustment gets on my nerves.

I have tried both transpac & backplate in the shop with the tank on my back. BP can fit snuggly but it hurts a little, maybe it was not properly fitted. I cant rely on the dive shop for advice as there is conflict of interest, they kept pushing for transpac (higher price item). Therefore, I am turning to advice here :)

Pls help, I am going to make the purchase this week before Saturday, I will be going for a 2 week diving holiday. Btw, I have never used a back inflation BC.

BP can fit snuggly but it hurts a little, maybe it was not properly fitted.

Don't fit it that tight. I was surprised how much space there should be between your body and the shoulder straps. Have a look at the BAUE website for a good explanation.

Btw, I have never used a back inflation BC.
You will find two minor differences to a conventional BCD at the surface: you'll be more comfortable swimming on your back, and also by not inflating it any more than necessary.

A properly fitted Transpac with crotch strap should not ride up and down and should be at least as comfortable as a backplate/harness. Both work well. The Transpac will actually give you the option to try sidemount in the future, although there are better systems for that.

Make sure you understand the proper fitting adjustments. Dive Rite has some excellent videos about fitting Transpacs as well as other systems.

Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive Rite Scuba
Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive Rite Scuba

Would like buy my first BCD but cant decide between transpac or BP. I have only used rented jacket BCD in all my previous dives.

If your FIRST BCD is a Traspac, your SECOND one will be a BP/W.

Do yourself a favor... buy the second BCD first!

:)

Back
Top Bottom