Tank rating 232 versus 300 bar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sorry - one more basic tank question.

I know A clamp first stage connections are only rated to 232 bar, and DIN connections are rated to accept up to 300 bar, and have seen some tanks advertised as 232 bar and some as 300.

My question is can you use a 300 bar rated tank with an A clamp connector provided it is only filled to 232 bar or less, or can a 300 bar cylinder only be used with a DIN connector. I know the DIN valve will require an insert fitting to the tank valve to make it work with a A clamo first stage.

I hope this makes sense, but I am trying to buy kit which will give me maximum flexibility to expand and change kit as time goes by. Cheers - P

I assume by "A clamp connector", you mean the yoke connector?

To use a yoke with a DIN, you need an insert. They (the industry) does not make an insert for the 300 bar DIN connection, only for the 232 bar DIN connection. The 300 bar has more threads in the socket, and the DIN insert will not bottom out . . . or, if you do bottom out the insert, the yoke will not make contact with the O-ring surface.

So, no, you cannot use a yoke connection with a 300 bar DIN valve.

Brilliant Jax - just what I was looking for, yes, by A clamp I meant yoke, I am familiar with and have used quite a few 232 bar DIN tanks with an insert, but had not come across the 300 bar versions. Guess health and safety would argue that you can't use them with an insert in case the tank had been filled to capacity and the pressure was too much for the yoke.

So I assume the thread on the DIN first stage is longer than the thread on a tank insert so it will still bottom out the DIN o-ring to make a seal.

P

Brilliant Jax - just what I was looking for, yes, by A clamp I meant yoke, I am familiar with and have used quite a few 232 bar DIN tanks with an insert, but had not come across the 300 bar versions. Guess health and safety would argue that you can't use them with an insert in case the tank had been filled to capacity and the pressure was too much for the yoke.

So I assume the thread on the DIN first stage is longer than the thread on a tank insert so it will still bottom out the DIN o-ring to make a seal.

P

Correct - I can screw my DIN fittings into a 232 in about six turns, while a 300 DIN valve needs ten or twelve. Your wrist gets sore.

One thing to consider - you will hardly ever find shops that will fill greater than 3500 psi, or the 232 BAR, here in the States, but everyone will fill to 3000psi and some will fill to 3500 or so. That means your 232 bar tanks can pretty much be filled anywhere.

I have found that I cannot get my 2442psi steel tanks filled in our area, because everyone's compressor is set to 3000 and so few of us have HPs, it is not worth it to change it. Now, imagine if you had 300bar tanks . . .

Good points JAX - I am just looking at the moment as I need to buy some tanks in the UK - abroad I am always diving 232's, which never seem to have much much than 190 bar in them. I just want the best of all worlds with whatever I buy for the UK.

I'm going to swop my yoke first stage for a DIN and use the yoke as a backup for a pony tank, but I will also get a DIN to yoke adaptor for the new 'primary' first stage. Recently I have had to scrabble around looking for inserts to put in 232 DIN valves a couple of times as there were only DIN tanks left at the diving centre I use. - P

Because I have DIN Regs, I carry both the inserts and DIN to Yoke converters, just in case. And I carry both sizes of allen wrench to remove the inserts. More and more rental tanks have the convertible valves.

There aren't inserts for 300bar valves because the valve is physically to large to fit a yoke around. Even the 200bar valve is pretty snug in there.

Correct - I can screw my DIN fittings into a 232 in about six turns, while a 300 DIN valve needs ten or twelve. Your wrist gets sore.
5 worms on a 232 bar, 7 on a 300 bar
yoke is only 232 bar max

all my regulators are DIN 300, but they never seen a 300 bar tank

Thanks - I think I will still change my first stage to DIN, but I won't bother about buying a 300bar tank, doesn't seem much point, but changeing to DIN will give me the benefit of more flexibility (and the excuse to buy a new toy). - P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom