Problem with some Sunscreens & Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldogre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a recent trip, I applied Sunscreen then went Diving. After 30 mins. I flooded & cleared my mask (just for practice) my eyes immediately began to sting, I repeated several times my eyes gradually getting better, but were not completely O.K. until back on board. This brand was fine otherwise. My normal brand does not give this problem. Has anyone else had this happen?

I use sunscreen to have some protection against stings underwater.. i never put on my face.. just lower jaw and neck and ears.

Well, don't do that anymore.

In the "don't do that anymore" department, know that this happened to me in the owrst way. Years ago on a dive trip to a tropical location, I used a combination prduct that was sunscreen and insect repellent in one cream. It was a good product, but I did not read the "if this get's in your eyes you are in deep hurt", or at least didn't think about it and as I washed and donned my mask and clear it once during the dive, my eyes nearly swelled shut. My wife/dive buddy was at hand and noted my distress. We ended that dive, flushed my eyes, and all was well in less than an hour. Lesson learned. On dives before diving I put no sunscreen anywhere that will be within the mask coverage, regardless of the products claims to be harmless to eyes. I now have a good collection of hats to wear. It's hard to beat Garrabo's advice: Don't do that any more. I don't.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom