Remove reg hoses for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomZ

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was thinking: What is the advisability of removing the LP and HP hoses from the 1st stage for travel? I would of course install plugs in the holes, and cap the hoses. I would have spare o-rings, lube, and wrenches. I'm intending on traveling with our regs and other heavy items as carry-on. Dis-assembled, they would be easier to carry, with less strain on the connections. Comments? Suggestions?

Only if necessary for packing. I remove HP hoses to lay flat packed in a brief case for air travel

I'm not sure I understand your thinking here. You coil your regs and stick them in your carryon. What strain is there on the connections? Why would they be any easier to carry?
Are you saying you want to just carry them in your hand, rather than pack them in a bag?

If you want to keep your gear in carryon (I do...) then I suggest the Dive Caddy. My wife and I can pack our entire kit (except for sharps, of course) in ours.

I think it would be a PITA. I travel with my regs(up to 3) and lights(1 primary and 3-4 b/u's) among oher stuff in my carry-on and it is not an issue.

I'm not sure I understand your thinking here. You coil your regs and stick them in your carryon. What strain is there on the connections? Why would they be any easier to carry?
Are you saying you want to just carry them in your hand, rather than pack them in a bag?

If you want to keep your gear in carryon (I do...) then I suggest the Dive Caddy. My wife and I can pack our entire kit (except for sharps, of course) in ours.

To coil them small enough to fit into a carry-on, it seems there is some stress on the crimped connections attaching to the 1st stage. Or am I being overly concerned?

I think you're worrying about nothing, honestly. I don't know what you're using for your carry-on, but if it's bigger than a fanny pack you should be fine. :)

When I'm taking multiple reg sets I often remove the hoses and put the 1st & 2nd's in my carry on bag (If I don't have much space available in the carry on). I never ever put my regs, computers, can lights (etc) in my checked bags.. This is both to make sure I have them on the trip as well as to reduce the weight of the checked bags. Of course, I often travel with 4 reg sets depending on the type of diving I will be doing.

You can almost always find rentals at your destination location if your checked bags get lost, however I don't use anything life support related that I don't know the service history on = not mine.

Removing and re-installing hoses only take a few minutes and require few tools.

I have carried my reg's still attached to the first stage as carryon twice a month for the last three months without any problems.

I have them in a Scubapro tech reg bag, which is large enough to coil them in and carry by hand. I carry it instead of a laptop case, as my laptop goes into a backpack, and my regular airline allows one carryon and one laptop bag. I think this is better than constantly removing hoses and refitting, but I guess if you only do it once or twice a year it might not be an issue. I just have to remember to remove my knife from its holder which is mounted on a hose - P

OP - I fly both domestic and international with my regs in my carry-on without removing the hoses and have never had an issue. You should be fine although I'm not clear on your "crimping" concern.

Good luck.

I guess it would be OK to do this but a real waste of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom