Wing size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vino21

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a wing for doubles. The Halcyon Evolve.
My question is whether to get the 40 Lb lift or 60 Lb. lift.
Here is my profile:
Steel 100's (double)
Steel back plate w/ harness and cinch quick adjust plate by Halcyon. weight?
Xcel full hooded wet suit 9/7/6 mm
MK25's (2)
manifold
G250V
R395
back up light Monkey
Halcyon 400 ft. reel
OMS slip stream fins (may get a scubapro Jet which are heavier)
5 mm Aqualung boots
and little stuff that are not much.
I am 6 feet and weigh 170 Lbs.

Been reading that 40 Lb lift is fine for steel 100's double but want to make sure before i spend the $$ on the wing. I now dive single with the 40Lb lift eclipse.
Dive with very little air in my wing and end up with near nearly no air at the end with 500-800 PSI in tank.
Thanks.

if dry, then the 40lb should be fine, if in a wetsuit you'll want the 60lb. With any doubles 40lb's is a little low though...

Just bought a really nice shape used Halcyon Evolve 40 lb lift for what i think was a good price. $310
Now I am thinking I should have gone with the 60 Lb lift.
I hate jumping the gun.

Don't worry about it; chances are you'll have PLENTY of lift and if by some slim possibility not, you'll be able to get most of that money back, maybe even just trade someone straight up for the larger wing. Typically people buy wings that are too big.

Think about it; you have a pretty buoyant wetsuit so you won't be negative at the start of a dive; i.e you'll add weight to get neutral at the surface, right? Okay, so the only lift you'll need then is for the weight of the gas (10 lbs or so) and loss of wetsuit buoyancy due to compression, which will not be anywhere near 30 lbs unless you're so deep your suit goes down to dive-skin thickness in which case you'll be freezing your ass off. So, when your ass falls off, that's less weight you have to swim to the surface :wink:

Seriously, try it, don't worry about it.

Steel doubles in a wetsuit, not what I would recommend, and a different wing capacity won't change my opinion.

Let's say your wetsuit is 22 lbs positive.

Your cylinders empty are about -2 each 2 x -2 = -4
Your Plate / Harness is about -6
Your bands and manifold are about -4
Your Regs are about -4
If you get a modern can light another -2

You are already pretty close having all or almost all of your required ballast.

What's your plan if you have a wing failure at depth?

I'd suggest looking at a pair of al 80's to double up until the drysuit fairy arrives.

Tobin

I used a 40lb Evolve with double AL80S, ali stages and a wetsuit (or even just a rash guard). Plenty enough buoyancy.

As Tobin stated, I wouldn't dream of using steel tanks with a wetsuit and a single-bladder wing... it's too much liability.

I believe the 40# wing MAY work as well, and it's a quality one you have. On the other hand I think 60 Ibs is overkill in your situation.
I used to use my Hollis 60# wing with double 130's and stages, but dropped down to a Halcyon 55 Ib. So I would definitely TRY it first, i.e. in a safe place.

Cause you’re on the verge you can always drop the SS backplate for an Aluminum one (-6 Ibs vs. -2 Ibs). And there's 4 Ibs gained right there. Actually you might consider this if you're going to keep the wing in this set up.

This Christmas be really good and Santa may come around with a drysuit. This is for redundancy and safety.
At 30m (98ft) your 5mm wetsuit, which had +22 Ibs of buoyancy on the surface, would be like +7 pounds at depth.

ps. If you decide later on you really want a 60# wing I will sell my Hollis C60. It's in great condition. Brand new it's like $282. It's just over a year old (purchased Sep 2010).
They say 55 & 60 Ib are ideal for double steel cylinders (EE). But again, I think 60 is too much and around 50# wing might be best in your set up. (see LM 45#)

Typically people buy wings that are too big.
Actually, I've been using the 40# evolve with the double-130s lately since its just been with nitrox with no stages or anything else.
Lamont's Post

Last edited:
I agree that 40lb with a wetsuit is fine.

Thanks to all for the input. Some contradictions but after speaking with other divers and reading the posts here, I came to a conclusion.
I was actually told by one local diver to contact Tobin and lo and behold, here he is. Thanks Tobin.
I will be hoping that the drysuit fairly delivers a new drysuit. Preferably the Santi Enduro or e.lite best purchased from Wayne at The Scuba Connection aka diveseekers.com
Until then, I will be doing tech training in a wet suit and then figure out the lift I will need for my gear. But I do agree with the 40Lb lift being for double AL 80's and more lift when I get into double steel 119's or 130's in a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom