Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just relocated the inflator hose on my Nomad to the bottom of the wing and put the dump valve that was on the bottom on the top. It seem like a pretty straight forward procedure but I ran into some trouble with the string that you pull to use the dump valve. It seems that the 3-4 inch original string that comes with that valve is permanently attached and cant be removed without cutting it. I tried to attach a piece of separate string to the original black string by tying them together inside the valve but no matter where I put the knot it interferes by not allowing the valve to open. I currently have my new string tied to the original string outside of the valve and it seems to work fine. Its not a huge deal but it just looks messy and I am concerned that maybe the knot could work itself undone putting me in a situation where I would have to reach behind my head to use the 3-4 inch original string just to dump air from the wing. I even tried to find the top valve from a Nomad JT which has a longer string that runs down the shoulder but i can only seem to find the ones with the short string. Any ideas on how to either modify my current setup with a more permanent fix or where I can get that top valve off of a Nomad JT? Rob I know you'll prob see this and I have look at your on your site, in fact I tried to mirror mine off of yours. Your input would be very appreciated. Thanks.

I carefully pulled the black rubber disk off the dump (it's sticky) and put a whole new string in.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the replacement string? I used cave line, and it is worn already.

cave line works just fine. The live of the strings aren't that long since they are being under constant abrasion every time you pull. Just run however long off the end of a spool and call it good

I carefully pulled the black rubber disk off the dump (it's sticky) and put a whole new string in.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the replacement string? I used cave line, and it is worn already.

That sure was easy, thanks.

cave line works just fine. The live of the strings aren't that long since they are being under constant abrasion every time you pull. Just run however long off the end of a spool and call it good

I'm thinking stainless steel wire.

bad idea. It will wear away at the actual valve then you're in for a more expensive part than a hassle... I use wreck line not cave line so it's a bit heavier. The line is not all that difficult to replace, only takes a minute. It works the same way as the road wearing down your tires. Sure you could use metal tires which would last forever, but instead of the expensive roads wearing out your cheap tires, you'd be using your expensive tires to wear out the much more expensive road. With the SS wire you're using your expensive wire to wear out your much more expensive dump valve. The line should last well over a year. Far less if you're using it in chlorine. Chlorine doesn't play nice with the aramid fibers *kevlar, nomex, nylon etc*, hence the life of BC's and webbing and what not is extremely diminished when in pools. We're working with a couple of manufacturers now to develop a "pool wing" which will have about 20lbs of lift but be made with a special fiber blend that is inert to chlorine and sunlight. It won't have the same strength as ballistic/cordura nylon, but will be about 80% and will not lose integrity in the sun and chlorine.

If you're using your nomad in the pool a lot, the chlorine is wearing that line out, so just go buy some polyester string and use that. If not, just make it part of your yearly maintenance

Oh, sorry. :blush: I should have used the [facitious] [/facitious] tags.

Actually, it did get worn over the year, and I thought it would last longer. But I'll replace it with [pink] wreck line, so it should be better. :)

ok, thought that was serious. I've seen people try to use wire before and it was quite funny to watch them gripe a year later when they cut thru their dump valves. Pink line is perfectly ok!

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom