Spraying water-proof layer on wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hong32585

Registered
Reaction score
I am think to spary a water-proof layer on my wetsuit by sth nano tech stuff or other thing getting the same result.

Anyone thinks it will work? It help reduce the water outflow and minimize water movement, thus keep extra warmth.

Have anyone try it before? is it work?

What effect will it have on the stretch characteristics? What do you hope to achieve other than dry faster?

It really would be cool if the nylon suit could be made to totally repel water after immersion. Evaporative cooling is a huge issue.

that won't work. The neoprene itself is not really all that water permeable and any waterproofing will be mood because as soon as you stretch the material the waterproof layer will become broken.
The evaporative cooling is unavoidable with wetsuits and is even prevalent in the neoprene drysuits. It's goin gto happen, and if you're that worried about the negligible effects of waterproofing a wetsuit, just get a drysuit. The other issue is under compression that layer would also fail.

Wetsuits are mostly made out of "closed cell" neoprene meaning the bubbles don't touch each other. This means the suit is already effectively waterproof! Water gets into the suit mainly through the cuffs, ankles, neck and zip. If you want to reduce water movement you can put rubber bands on your cuffs and ankles, this prevents water moving around or flushing through the suit. I dive a 6mm wet-suit with some of those red rubber bands the postal service use on my cuffs and ankles down to 8c without any discomfort, without the rubber bands i cant manage colder than about 12c without getting freezing.

You could also try a semi-dry suit which is a wet-suit with seals on the cuffs, ankles and neck designed to hold water, this means once you heat the initial water that runs in your body dosent get any more cold water flushing in so you can stay quite warm. Ive dived my semi dry in sea temperatures down to 5c. Walking out of the water i look quite comical since the suit is sealed and full of water so it all rushes to my thighs and then pools there making it look like i have a pair of these on:

tudor_man_trousers.gif

Also a word of warning, if you are going to use the rubber band trick or use a semi-dry, be sure to pull an ankle seal open if you decide to pee in the suit and let some water flush through. Ive seen what happens if you swim around for an hour or so in a suit filled with your own byproducts so to speak, and it isnt a pleasant smell!

Thx everyone advise, it seems i have to give up that thought

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom