Key Largo for Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scallop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone give me some pointers on Key Largo. We will be down there the week before Christmas. Kind of narrowed the Hotel choice to either the Hampton Inn or the Hilton. Either one nicer than the other???

Also hoping to do our 4 open water dives to finish the certification process for myself and my 11yr old son. Good shop recommendation for that? Family orientated and great customer service is a must as I want the boy to have a great experience so he will stay interested in diving.

We are going through SDI for cert's so I am thinking it has to be a SDI shop correct? Or will another agency perform the open water portion of training and still count to get our cards? We will have all classroom and pool work done.

Would also like to have a shop that would allow my wife and 14yr old daughter to snorkel while we are diving so they can follow along. I do not want to go to a "cookie cutter" or cattle boat shop. Personability and personal service is king and counts much more towards the comfort and success of the experience. Hoping to eventually convince wife and daughter to get their certifications too.

I stayed at the Hampton a night last year around that time (free w points). Aside from a few ants, it wasn't a bad place. They had their own little beach, decent gym, and a good free breakfast. They're next door to that weird abandoned tower/building looking thing on the side of the highway. There is also a godd bar/restaurant a short walk.

The Holiday Inn or Marriott Courtyard are in better locations. From those places, you can walk out your door to your choice of three or four dive boats. I've heard good things about the others, but I've used Rainbow Reef. The most on one boat was 16, but usually only there were no more than eight. They put a guide in the water and snorklers were also welcome. When I did my AOW (PADI though) with them last year around Easter, they had a 1 on 1 instructor to student ratio (it may have been luck). Rainbow's website also has fantastic discounts on those dockside hotels ($99-Marriott & $109-Holiday Inn during the week before Christmas).
Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

Another vote for Rainbow Reef. We are "advanced" divers who were with them for two weeks last summer. We were impressed watching them deal with the students on the boats. They also have larger boats, that can be VERY nice is the seas are not calm.

Anyone give me some pointers on Key Largo. We will be down there the week before Christmas. Kind of narrowed the Hotel choice to either the Hampton Inn or the Hilton. Either one nicer than the other???

Also hoping to do our 4 open water dives to finish the certification process for myself and my 11yr old son. Good shop recommendation for that? Family orientated and great customer service is a must as I want the boy to have a great experience so he will stay interested in diving.

We are going through SDI for cert's so I am thinking it has to be a SDI shop correct? Or will another agency perform the open water portion of training and still count to get our cards? We will have all classroom and pool work done.

Would also like to have a shop that would allow my wife and 14yr old daughter to snorkel while we are diving so they can follow along. I do not want to go to a "cookie cutter" or cattle boat shop. Personability and personal service is king and counts much more towards the comfort and success of the experience. Hoping to eventually convince wife and daughter to get their certifications too.

The Hilton is absolutely stunning. It is built in an eco-friendly way that preserved much of the natural forest environment and there are beautiful short walks through the forest. It has a great sunset view out over Florida Bay, and if you walk the dock area you can see quite a few barracuda and other fish if the water is calm. Nice sand beach, also. There are hammocks (the laying down kind) and chairs spread around the outdoor areas of the property where you can lounge and the weather ought to be nice and cool. The building and rooms are first rate. The pools are beautiful with big waterfalls and surrounded by the forest. Even if you get a parking lot room, the place is so special that I would call it a "don't miss." It is my first choice whenever I go down there from Ft. Lauderdale.

As for dive shops, I use Quiesence Diving Services. They offer a variety of certifications so you should check with them to see if the do the one you need. They run 6 pack boats and their captains and instructors are first rate. Everyone there has worked there forever and you will be hard pressed to find a nicer, more friendly group of people. If you have 4 people plus your instructor you might have the boat to yourself. This is the type of personalized service you are looking for. There are many good shops in Key Largo but I don't think you will find a bad review for Quiesence anywhere, only top ratings.

There are many dive sites that are good for both divers and snorkellers. Most of the check-out dives will be on reefs that range from 15 to 30' or so (although one dive might be on a 60' reef). The captains will know which ones are best.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and info. Looks like we are staying at the Ocean Point Suites and tentively scheduled the dives with Capt. Slates. Got quite a few good reports and suggestions for them. 3 more weeks.......sigh

The seas have not been calm of late (like a month). For this reason diving with a service that offers larger boats is a plus. A six pack sounds nice, but not so much when there are 6-10 foot seas. More so if anyone is prone to get seasick.

Have fun...

The seas have not been calm of late (like a month). For this reason diving with a service that offers larger boats is a plus. A six pack sounds nice, but not so much when there are 6-10 foot seas. More so if anyone is prone to get seasick.

Have fun...

Good point. Ocean Divers will set sail in some gnarly seas with their largest boat...

What sort of average seas can I expect in March?

What sort of average seas can I expect in March?

It totally depends on the weather. March is usually pretty windy, but we have periods of calm spells at all times of year and winter/early spring can be some great diving. The only to tell for sure is to check the NOAA forecast every day beginning about a week before your planned dive days.

If you have to book far in advance, personally, I would not consider a charter that does not give you an option to cancel if seas are 5' or higher. With your experience you probably can handle most conditions, but I am not fond of diving in seas over 5'. Also, large, crowded cattle boats are NOT safer or more comfortable when 20 divers begin staggering around the boat or trying to mount the ladders in their gear in 5'+ seas. A 6-pack can be safer, and often rides the waves as well as larger boats, and, often, the crew is much more available to help you on and off. Give me smaller charters, anytime.

Also, a 6 pack will be more willing to cancel when you should really be considering not going out, anyway.

I believe Cap. Slates is a larger boat. I could have sworn I saw upwards of 20 people on their boat when I dove the Spiegel back in October.... but maybe I'm wrong....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom