Feed back or info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jvaliente

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to scuba , I am looking to get my gear and I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on these items
1. Aqua lung black diamond
2. Atomic reg. B2 with quick
disconnect
3. Airs TRI computer

Black Diamond, a good, but expensive, back inflation vest. I submit that you will do better with a BP/w setup, which is more functional and less expensive.

The Atomic B2 is one of the best performing regulators made, it is a descent of a long line of ScubaPro designs. It is way overpriced and does not perform any better than many regulators that sell for about half the price, I recommend that you take a good look at the alternatives like HOG. The B2 is a flow through piston design and my personal bias is to only buy diaphragm regulators, which though slightly more complicated internally do not have any moving parts exposed to the environment.

I do not recognize "Airs TRI computer" as a brand or model of computer.

I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE GEAR YOU HAV IDENTIFIED. i assume the black diamond is the bc. and the computer may be a trimix computer i dont know, the names are suggestive. first you need to decide what kind of diving you are going to do. next you need to decide if youwant to keep buying replacement gear as you skills inmprove and you go further into the sport. lastly how does the equipment meet those goals. I will firstly say i am no dir fan (to a point. ) the gear with out looking at it will probably work for you without problems. now if you plan to go further nto the sport you WILL most lkely end up with a back plate and wing of some sort. so i would think you should start with that and not have to learn to adapt toit when you do. the cost is probably cheaper than the bcd.atomic make a good reg .... you may want to get imput from others to see if there are any con's to it, doubt that there is. i use atomic m1 and scubapro mk25's. if the aeris tri is a trimix computer dont go there stay with a nitrox computer. if i am mistaking the tri part of it, sorry.

Unless you are getting some heavy-duty deals, you've picked a fairly expensive set of gear.

Atomics are good regs, but high priced. I agree with looking at the HOG regs; we have them and like them a lot. BUT . . . some of the issue is what you can get serviced, and whether you are willing to mail things away to get it done.

I don't like quick disconnects. We almost lost a dive in Mexico this last trip when my husband's started leaking. It's much easier to swap out a simple SPG.

And finally, you may or may not want to go with a console, and even if you do, I'd advise against putting your compass on it. Either wear the compass on your wrist, or put it on some kind of mount that you can clip to your BC. It can be quite cumbersome to pull a compass around on an HP hose, to a place where you can center it and use it, unless the hose is so long that it's rather messy.

I prefer to have my depth gauge on my wrist, where it is very easy to monitor during ascents, even when I have my left hand full of inflator or dump valve. But that's just me.

I used a Black Diamond for a few years so I can only comment on that piece. The others I know about but have not used them
Here is what I like about the BD

• Comfortable; I originally want the Balance but the back pad did not fit me well.
  • D-Rings; There are a number of them and in locations that I liked.
  • Adjustable; The waist band can be expanded or decreased to compensate for changes in exposure protection and fit.
  • Plenty of lift.
  • Back inflate

What I disliked about the BD

• Heavy and bulky; When I traveled it took up room and weight
  • The wide adjustable waist band with the pocket in front.
  • The large wing. With 50 pounds of lift the wing is bulky. I actually modified the straps to make the wing more streamlined. Newer models have change this slightly.

It fit me well and I have dived a number of rigs. What you really need to look at is the type(s) of diving you want to do.
Airline travel? fagetaboutit
California, it will work well, along with a number of other choices. Balance, BP&W, Knighthawk, Tec Express

Try them on and get in a pool with as many as you can.

IF THE AIRS TRI COMPUTER IS AN AERIS T3 COMPUTER then i know that computer. i like the integrated air aspect of it. there is a lot to look into when it comes to computers such as whre the deepest deco stops are ect. not to mention whether to use or not to use one. i preser to use one.

I use the Atomic reg and like it alot. As to all of your gear choices, I suggest you evaluate the type of diving you will be doing as well as the frequency of your dives, to say nothing of your budget (a big factor for most of us). . If you will be diving once or twice a year in tropical waters your selection will be different that if you are going to do a lot of SoCal (cold water) diving every week. I like to hold and read about gear I contemplate, and I like to try it out before buying whenever possible. There is a lot of "no frills" equipment that is nevertheless reliable and safe and durable, and will meet most divers' needs for years. It's hard to advise without more information. One last thing- select equipment that you can have serviced and repaired near you- a big plus!
DivemasterDennis

I've never heard of an "Aeris TRI", but the link posted earlier is to an Aeris Atmos. Unfortunately, I have never used the Atomos, so can't comment on it, just thought I would try to clear up the confusion.

Also, I didn't know that Sears sold diving equipment. Any reason why you aren't working with your LDS?

I have the Aeris Atmos II and the Aeris Epic both similar to what you are looking at but the Atmos is not AI and the Epic is wireless. I believe the Atmos AI is a great computer similar to the Epic, and will work well for any recreational diving you do. I like to wear puters on the wrist but that is a personal decision. The price also is good as I have seen that puter selling for $600+ at diveshops, currently $599 at LP. It does Nitrox and has everything you want displayed on the screen including dive time remaining or gas remaining or NDL remaining depending on which is the most limiting factor. It also tracks ascent speed which is important.

As for the Reg, nice reg but very expensive. If that's what you want I do like the fact they are made in the US!

BC, I think that is one big/heavy BC and not travel friendly. I travel with the Zeagle Stiletto and that is a nice travel BC. It has a 35lbs wing I think which is plenty for most divers. 50lbs is a bit much and one reason the Black Diamond is not as travel friendly. Check it out.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ZGLST.html?Hit=1#DescriptionInfoTab

BTW LPs prices are no longer that good but they do haggle over the phone which most don't realize. I bought that Stiletto for just over $300 a few years back but prices have really gone through the roof as our economy tanks...

Back
Top Bottom