How do basic/novice/inexperienced divers define "What is Advanced Diving?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, there are three pieces to this posting; this thread here in Basic Scuba Discussions (for divers who don't feel they are advanced divers), a thread in Advanced Scuba Discussions (for divers who do feel they are advanced divers) and a thread in Technical Diving Specialties (for divers who make technical dives).

OK you basic scuba divers; looking into your future, what do you think would earn you the title "advanced diver?"

So, please answer the question in the proper forum; the question is slightly different in each different forum; this question is for those who have not got there yet (100+ dives :no:).

Advanced diving, technical diving, recreational diving; to me, terms like that are like rock & roll, progressive rock, heavy metal, hard rock, punk rock, speed metal, death metal, and so on ad infinitum. In other words, there is no universal understanding of the terminology; not even close. So, since everybody has a different definition of the words, they are meaningless and I avoid using them.

I did one dive between my Open Water and Advanced cert classes. Did that make me an "Advanced" diver?

Last edited:
I'm asking to hear every "participants" personal definition of "advanced."

The point it to see others opinion of what is "advanced." To see it's different "meanings."

:idk:

Anything beyond "basic.".

OW training recommended max depth 60 ft. Diving deeper recommended Deep Diver training for first few dives to be aware special issues such as nitrogen narcosis.

Advanced diving generally would involve any skill not covered in basic OW training. You don't really need take specialty course for boat diving, wreck, photography, video, etc. But dry suit, deep, possibly drift diving (after reading accidents in A & I forum regarding drift diving issues) where doing your first couple dives with experienced instructor would be good idea IMO would be "advanced."

Situation comes up on some boat charters where the location is beyond level beginner. Area may have deeper bottom, stronger currents where new diver may not be able handle situations. Dive boat usually states these dives are not apropriate beginner and are for "advanced" divers only. Up to you to decide if you can fit into this category.

Let's say anything beyond the training of an Open Water Diver or outside of good conditions.

A simple beach dive can become advanced with a rough water entry/exit and low visibility.

I think the tougher question is how much of this advanced diving makes one an advanced diver.

Pete

I consider myself an advanced diver since I got my AOW cert.

:rofl3:

I think it is a difficult thing to define, but advanced diving for me means being comfortable diving without a DM, max depth of 40m, or unusually strong or unpredictable currents. Possibly diving where there is no hard bottom? Or any diving where something needs to happen in order for you to conduct the dive safely. (I'm thinking difficult exits or requiring precise navigation?)

There is a 'sanitised' wreck near here that I don't really think is suitable for true beginners, but I wouldn't call it an advanced dive.

There is also a deep site that is frequented by a lot of pelagic species and a large number of sharks apparently. I would call that an advanced site.

I think someone could have 100 dives and call themselves 'advanced'. I also think someone could have 300 and still not be there. It all depends on the person and their experiences. One thing that bugs me is people who do their OW course followed immediately by the AOW and think they are advanced divers. I think it takes a lot more than courses to truly progress.

Last edited:
The so-called "Advanced Diver" cert is just a way of the certification agencies and dive shop operators to relieve your wallet of two or three hundred of your hard-earned. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think Jarod Jabolonksi does a good job of describing the differences in his book "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving". In the book the criteria is focused on the abilities of the diver (e.g. being able to hover motionless or the back kick) rather than what training classes have been completed. I do think however that training classes are the best way to master those abilities, provided things that are learned are applied.

BTW - It is not my intention to hijack this thread into a DIR discussion :)

Back
Top Bottom