Coming to Boca Raton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popper

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks to anyone who responds. I will be visiting Florida in early January for 2 weeks staying Boca Raton.
I am a capable PADI diver and am looking for a good dive operation in the area, I have contacted several in the area and no one puts a
dive master in the water??? Is this the norm in Florida, being new to the area it is nice to know that you have someone with lots of
local experience who knows things to look out for and also keeps an eye on the boat,
I like to explore knowing that the DM is looking out for hazards and keeps the nav under control.

If anyone has experience with dive shops in the area around Boca that could recommend a operator that puts DM’s in the water
with the group it would be very much appreciated. I have dove in the Caribbean and never been in the water without a DM in the group.

Thanks,

Terry.

You will pay extra to have a guided dive. Yes, it's the norm not to put a DM in the water..Do you want a DM or a guide to show you the cool stuff?

Most high cap boats North of Boynton will put a DM/guide in the water. It is not always required to stay with the guide, but he/she will be pulling the float the boat follows. (Drift dive) Scuba Club in West Palm puts 2 to 4 in the water and usually require the divers stay close. Emerald out of Jupiter there is no float. Better be able to shoot a DSMB. I like Jupiter Dive Center. There is a guide in the water, but staying with the guide is optional.
Southern ops I'm familiar with don't necessarily put a guide in the water, but they'll put you in groups of 2 to 4 with each "team" pulling a flag.

Last edited:
I am a capable PADI Diver
Then no need for a dive master. The first reef off Boca is 50 feet to the top of the reef and 60 feet to the sand. The west side is pretty much a vertical ledge 10-12' high. Tons of fish there including tropicals, predators and edibles. West of the ledge in 60-65 feet there are coral heads and rock formations. There is at least one sunken boat too. On top of the reef there are coral heads, cuts and ledges and is a great place to hunt bugs (get a license). There is a 75' wide trench that cuts east - west through the reef with a 10-15 wall on both the north and south side. The current ultimately decides where you are going, but figure on 45mins to an hour per 80# tank if you don't fight it. Just don't lose your flag and the boat should pick you up shortly after you surface. All of the local boats can drop you right on it. There's nothing to it. Just south of Boca there are several wrecks also. You can combine a wreck and reef dive in one trip. Relax and enjoy

The farther North you go the deeper it gets. You apparently are not comfortable in the water without a guide but you will do a deeper dive at Boynton. The dives there are 65' or deeper. I've been on several that were over 100'. I have not been shallower than 65', well the coral mounds are shallower on top so 65' to the sand and deeper. You can get a guide on most boats but the guide is not generally included but an add on. I'm guessing $50 or more but that can be split among divers.

You are also maybe 15-20 miles from Boynton to Boca but maybe you can change hotels to be closer. I have no idea if you will run into traffic, the locals will know. Kevin runs a great dive Op so that's a good thing if diving with him.

Have Fun and tell them of your experience before diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom