Bad service stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I really dont have any bad stories to post that I can think of right off hand but just curious to read others stories. They can be anything from a bad dive to a rude and hateful crew.

The reason I am wondering is I read about a couple who had an aweful experience where the dive masters did not carry the tanks to the boat (I would not mind carrying my own just so you know) they did not speak in the same language so there was a language barrier and did not lead the dive no give a good briefing. Where there story went south is when they decided not to tip since they did everything the dive master informed the shore staff who pretty much had a hostile confrontation over not tipping.

Anyway I am curious to hear thoughts and shared stories of what others perceive as a bad experience

Closest I can come is watching a dive op (won't name names or locations) put a diver in the water who couldn't even set up his regs on his tank - not a clue how the gear went. Another diver had to help him...

The worst I've seen (which wasn't that bad) was in the Galapgos last year. While the live aboard boat crew & Dive Masters actually did very well, the Dive Masters solicited us for extra tips. They told us that the tips are generally evenly distributed among the crew & that they (the Dive Masters) got short changed often & were responsible for buying & maintaining their own gear. Feeling sorry for them & very happy with their guiding services, we gave them a very generous tip above what they would normally get. On a survey form, someone mentioned that the Dive Masters should be compensated more for their skills & the upkeep of their gear. We were then informed (after the trip) that the Dive Masters were paid more than most of the crew & also got a larger portion of the tips. We got suckered....

Yikes! At least it was exposed.

Closest I can come is watching a dive op (won't name names or locations) put a diver in the water who couldn't even set up his regs on his tank - not a clue how the gear went. Another diver had to help him...

I was under the impression that Discovery dives were all like that. The divemaster/instructor makes sure the people (non-divers) are okay with the dive gear in the pool; then they go into the ocean, following the divemaster. Less than 30ft deep.

But if it wasn't a discovery dive, and the guy actually had a certification (so he could just do a normal dive), then that's a bit dangerous.

I had a bad experience in Florida. I found a dive op online and they advertised doing snorkling with the manatees, as well as dives to various spring locations around the Orlando area. The workers were ok, but not as friendly as I am use to. I kinda ignored it since nobody here in Missouri does anything without a 20 minute conversation. I don't expect everyone to be like that. My problem came when we went to Devil's Den. It was more cave like than I had expected, but I followed our guide through areas I could still see the surface. We came to one of those warning signs with the grim reaper telling you that you will die if you swim any further. (cave diver area)

The guide swam past the sign and motioned for us to follow. I refused, and though I was not with the other people who were there, I warned them as well and they stayed with me. The guide seemed very frustrated about that, but went elsewhere. Later in the same dive he approached the sign again, this time from the side at the end of a swim through. He went casually past it like we would not notice what he did. Again, I stopped and refused to go past that point. I had not even done AOW yet at that point. It looked well beyond my training to go in there and I didn't trust him. He seemed angry and asked us several times to follow. The two other people with us seemed unsure what to do. But they stayed with me. Later when we surfaced the guide hurried up and packed up without speaking. Then he said I was not a good diver for not sticking with the guide and buddy and drove off.

He didn't get a tip. I still believe I did the right thing. I didn't feel comfortable going where he wanted us to go. I dove with another group later I met here on Scubaboard and had a much better time.

I was under the impression that Discovery dives were all like that. The divemaster/instructor makes sure the people (non-divers) are okay with the dive gear in the pool; then they go into the ocean, following the divemaster. Less than 30ft deep.

But if it wasn't a discovery dive, and the guy actually had a certification (so he could just do a normal dive), then that's a bit dangerous.

Yeah..... it WASN'T a discovery dive...

I had an experience with a dive op where I wasn't happy at all. The crew did not help anyone load or unload gear -- which wouldn't bother me in the slightest, except that the method of boarding the boat was a narrow bridge with no railing or handholds, and no attachment to either the dock or the boat. Getting back OFF the boat, it was low tide and the ramp was very steep, and they put the end of it on a little plastic STEPSTOOL -- watching people try to climb onto this thing in doubles and walk across about a six foot drop to mud scared the dickens out of me, and I refused to do it. This was in the US, where litigation is a very real possibility . . .

Another dive op had us sit on an open boat in 20+ mph winds and sub-freezing temperatures, without even a cooler of warm water to put our freezing hands in.

I don't expect much, really; I'm happy to handle my own gear and run my own dive. But I expect safety.

In California the boat takes you to the dive destination, fills the tanks and mostly stays out of the way. A few months ago in San Diego, the Captain noted that I was gearing up for the third dive with my dry suit zipper unzipped, so I was thankful for her watchfulness. It would have been a short cold dive. But by in large I do not expect much locally.

As far as equipment service goes it has just been one horror story after another. I have found shops not replacing parts that they said they did, not following manufacture’s procedures, breaking things and not taking responsibility and “repairing” things not in need of repair Too many shops seem to believe that deceit and serial petty theft is sound business practice. After dealing with that one too many times I decided I would service my own gear. Of course some self serving tool will chime in and say that it is far too complicated for end users to turn a screw or change an o-ring unless you have received the proper sanctified training.

I decided I would service my own gear. Of course some self serving tool will chime in and say that it is far too complicated for end users to turn a screw or change an o-ring unless you have received the proper sanctified training.

Likely the same guy charging $200 for $50 in parts and a half hour of labor

Back
Top Bottom