Moving from Warm Water Diving to Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I probably was spoiled since all my scuba training and dives have been in Warm Water. I am planning to do some cold water dives for the first time and would like to know what to expect?

Is it just as fun? Any one prefer cold water over warm water?

I know cold water is more challenging.

I was trained in cold water and like it a lot better. While I don't get as much mobility and flexibility because of my gear, I'm more in love with the kelp forest and rocky environment.

For me diving through a kelp forest is a lot more fun than diving through a sparse coral environment, where the only noticeable thing to see, is more often only below you.

What you should expect with cold water diving is having more gear and weight on you. You'll HAVE to tighten all your straps including weightbelt and cumberbuns as you descend. Because as you descend your heavy weightsuit will compress and all your straps will become loose.
Your air consumption will probably rise, and you may be very cold during your first series of dives. But if you keep diving in cold water you do get used to the cold and you won't notice it as much over time. Getting a very well fitting wetsuit will help this all the more.

All these things add new concepts that you'll have to experience to understand, sometimes it can overwhelm you. So I suggest doing a very easy novice dive for your first few coldwater dives.

Overall it is very fun. I prefer it, others don't. Give it an honest try.

If you want to go cold water, just go dry. It's quite a leap, but well worth it! It's difficult at first, but much better than freezing.

Ehh, I found water in the high 40s and low 50s quite tolerable in a 7mm john.. It's really not the water that I find cold, it's the getting out and changing out of wet gear...

I dive in cold water most of the time. Biggest difference as the water column temperature drops is the amount of air that you will use. It is surprising how much more air you can use in cold water....I would second a couple of easy novice type dives to get used to the conditions and determine what your SAC rate will be in colder waters. Good Luck!

Cold water is great. You need to get comfortable with the heavier gear but that comes quick. Find a local mentor to get you up to speed or even hire a good DM to get you there. Lot's to see but less of the overwhelming eye candy you see in the tropics. And..... It's handy to enjoy frequently on the spur of the moment.

Tips

Gear

Revist your weighting

Pete

I probably was spoiled since all my scuba training and dives have been in Warm Water. I am planning to do some cold water dives for the first time and would like to know what to expect?

Is it just as fun? Any one prefer cold water over warm water?

I know cold water is more challenging.

Hi hqduong,

Like you I went from warm water to cold water, but I took lots of courses and was very glad I did, because cold water is very different. If all your training and experience has been in warm water, then cold water diving will present a number of new challenges that are outside your training and experience. For that reason, I think it would be wise to get some further training, take a refresher course, or perhaps do your first cold water dives with someone who can show you the ropes. Good luck.

I trained & certified cold water. And I'm broke so I can only afford to do cold(local/Cali) diving, A good wet suit and you'll be fine for a few dives a day. As mentioned its not the water that gets you cold its the Surface intervals, and boat rides.I dive a 9/7/6 excel semi-dry and I'm plenty warm down to 46º, If your hunting lobster/fish wet is the way to go.And for beauty and interesting sea life the kelp forest in Monterey/Carmel are 2nd to none.But be prepared for a little more weight and slightly more cumbersome gear,but its well worth it.

Asides from the reduced mobility and the increased weight on land, the biggest difference is the HUGE buoyancy shift that you'll find as you descend and ascend. Watch for it and anticipate it, especially upon ascent.

If you want to go cold water, just go dry. It's quite a leap, but well worth it! It's difficult at first, but much better than freezing.

I don't quite want to invest in a drysuit until I know I like it. It's a huge investment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom