Bad news for LDS in WA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well, this is second hand info, which comes from my LDS owner, but here it is. He says that next year a new law goes into affect in WA state which is precedent setting and will then be legislated into all states that negatively effect the LDS. The law makes it illegal for any non-profit organization to gain income from any for-profit company through the use of the non-profit agency’s facilities. In other words, the YMCA, YWCA, local collages, high schools, etc. will no longer be allowed to sell pool time to the LDS. The LDS will have to find a private pool or build their own. This LDS owner is doing well and already had plans to build a pool anyway, but he is suggesting that this new law will hurt any dive shop that is just trying to keep afloat - even put some under.
He gets his info from Eastern Washing University.
Any thoughts?

Can he cite the law so that we can go look it up and see what it really says?

I think it likely that somebody is misreading the law.

I know that a non-profit cannot shelter a for-profit from taxes.
I remember when Hughes Aircraft was owned by Hughes Medical Group. Until the rules were tightened Hughes AC was a great place to work.

These things get complicated and subtle wording is important.
That is why there are so many lawyers.

Q. What do you have when you have 100 lawyers on the bottom of the ocean?
A. A good start.
:D

I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on the web.

That said, when was the last time you heard of a federal law that only affected one state and then expanded to cover all of the states?

When was the last time you heard of a state law that expanded to cover other states?

As stated, this law would keep the VFW from renting out a hall for a wedding reception. Figure the odds on that happening.

Here in Virginia, the proceedings of the General Assembly are online. Perhaps Washington has the same thing or you can call your assemblycritter and get a title and section to go with these words.

My bet is that it is a vapor or grossly misinterpreted.

Rick Inman once bubbled...
...He says that next year a new law goes into affect in WA state which is precedent setting and will then be legislated into all states that negatively effect the LDS...

I agree, sounds like an urban legend to me.

1st Clue: Our legale system simply does not work that way. How can anyone say that a law passed in one state will "set a precedent" and be adopted by other states? Answer, you can't.

2nd Clue: Why the law? What befefit to the state and the public does it serve? What situtation that harms the public does it end? Where is the public benifit to this "law"? I certainly don't see it. It neither raises money for the state, or makes anything safer. Actually, I can see where tax revenue would be potentially lost to the state as for profit business would have increases in overhead by having to own facilities they currently rent as needed, or in business they would foregoe.

In fact a quick search of the legislative site for pending or newly adopted laws involving "non-profit" turns up no such law.

Nope, I believe it is a myth.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

... but easy enough for somebody employed by a non-profit to check out.

Yup. In process...

I run a non-profit theatre. We rent to for profit companies, as do a multitude of non-profit theatres, from Lincoln Center and The Kennedy Center on down, constantly. It would be a catastrophic change. While I can reluctantly believe someone has suggested that, the unintended consequences make passage and implementation unlikely IMHO.

Ken

kwesler once bubbled... I run a non-profit theatre. We rent to for profit companies, as do a multitude of non-profit theatres, from Lincoln Center and The Kennedy Center on down, constantly. It would be a catastrophic change. While I can reluctantly believe someone has suggested that, the unintended consequences make passage and implementation unlikely IMHO.

Ken
I doubt there is anything to it. It just takes a little while to prove a negative like that.

Well, I hate to post more 3rd hand info, but this is what I am being told. This is not a new law, it is an issue with Federal grant funds. The local University told our LDS that next year they will not be able to lease time at the pool because the Feds are going to begin to INFORCE a rule about this issue. Some kind of grant funds stipulation for non-profits.
I work for a non-profit, and we are checking with our grant writer.
Will update...

Wait a sec! I think Mike F. said that all LDS's are non-profit! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom