Spare air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After some reading I am considering a spare air. How many dive one and why?

Yes I know with proper planning...... but I'm just thinking it would be a good backup idea.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

For the cost of a spare air, you can get a redundant gas supply with sufficient size to get you safely to the surface with a normal ascent. With a spare air, you will still have to do a CESA but will have a few breaths to help you along. The small pony bottle is a bit larger and heavier but those differences will effect your travel more than diving. The spare air I bought years ago is now a pool toy for the grand kids.

Good points. Approximately how long will a spare air last for diver that is none stressed?

sent via nookcolor N2A.

The spare air I bought years ago is now a pool toy for the grand kids.

Unless your grand kids are scuba certified, I strongly recommend you don't do this. It may just be a little can of Spare Air, but it's still compressed air.

g2:
Unless your grand kids are scuba certified, I strongly recommend you don't do this. It may just be a little can of Spare Air, but it's still compressed air.

Lets not take the thread OT.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

I use a slung AL 40 for redundancy. It will get me to the surface from depth safely & with at least some semblence of a safety stop.

Thanks.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

Good points. Approximately how long will a spare air last for diver that is none stressed?

sent via nookcolor N2A.

Without getting into all the calculations for that 3 cu ft reserve, think in terms of about a minute - maybe a little more. If my choice were spare air or no air, I know what I would take. But I also know that with a 13 cu ft pony, I can do a normal ascent including a rest stop.

I carry a spare air on every dive. Check out my semi old post " spare air - or not?"
There are a lots of opinions and responses in that thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom