cheap accommodation papua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big fish63

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there anywhere that offers budget accommodation in papua close to any of the really good dive sites? i was looking at walindi for example but im not really prepared to pay $260 a night for a room and food. i'm more than happy to pay the rates for the diving as sometimes a dive is only as good as the guides and ive heard very good things. All i need accommodation wise is a quiet room with a fan that is also secure for all my equipment. does this exist in Papua new guinea? all looks very up-market not what im looking for at all.

I always found hotels expensive in PNG as well. If you are traveling by yourself, try making friends with some locals... I have found them to be very accommodating, great company, and have led me to some hidden gems. You probably aren't going to find anything cheaper than what you have already found, unless you are lucky enough to find a hostel, or place to camp. I haven't checked to see if couchsurfing has made it to PNG, but you might give it a shot. If you're going to a location were there is a dive operator, call them with your dilemma, and they could give you more options. If you do stay with some locals, most will never ask for money, but make sure you leave them a nice gift!

Thanks for the ideas. i dont think i'd be comfortable leaving my stuff with some random locals though, as nice and genuine as they may be, you never know. Surely theres some sort of back packing scene in png....

HI Big fish63, there is a backpacker style place just 5 mins down the road from Walindi. It is very basic but is clean and the family running it are great. They can drop you off at Walindi each morning for the diving. The place is called Queens Head, I don't know their contact details but I am sure Walindi will be happy to point you in the right direction.

hi big fish ,
did you get back from you trip to png?
which dive operator did you dived with?
cheers :blinking:

Back
Top Bottom