Is a computer actually necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimsey0

Reaction score
Ok here's the story, i was taking the last pool session in my OW class when a new instructer, who was also the owner of the shop (not my original instructer) tried to force me to buy a dive computer when i ALREADY had a depth gauge, and a dive watch. She said that people who use depth gauges are "stupid" and she insinuated that computers are "safer" okay so i respectfully told her that was her opinion, and she arrogantly said that that wasn't her opinion.
I didn't like her attitude (she had been pretty awful to me a few days before this) so i just got up and left.
Anyway, i was just wondering what she meant by "this is not my opinion", so i was wondering if any user of this board has any concrete proof that computers are actually "safer" than a divetable/depth gauge if the former is used correctly? Thanks

Pretty quick there, UP. Pretty quick.

K

Kimsey, the best dive computer will be your brain, your body and the dive tables. I consider a computer a nice add-on, but not by all means necessary.

The key step is to plan your dive first. Know where you're going, how deep and for how long. That said you should have at least a timer or a waterproof watch to keep track of time or have your buddy carry one. You probably already know how easily to loose track of time while diving.

That said, no, you don't need a computer unless you will be diving 'on the edge'. In fact, you will also find some posts here where the computer said that the diver was well within the limits and the diver ended up in the hospital. Unfortunately, there is no perfect algorithm since we all have a different physiology and react differently to excess nitrogen.

I don't claim to be experienced by all means, but I look at the diving computer as nice add-on for the diver who like to stay underwater for a longer time and for safety stop reasons. However, it can help you to pay attention to your ascend rate which is especially helpful for beginners like myself. If you plan your dive beforehand and stick to the plan, you should be fine with a depth gauge and a timer.

Some of the most experienced divers out there don't use computers and I'll garantee they are not stupid. I wouldn't waste my money (like I did) and buy a computer only to find out you may not have needed it. Everybody has an opinion regarding this subject, so I would suggest doing your homework when it comes to buying a computer.

Also, there are a number of very experienced divers on this board (some that are probably in your area) that you could hook up with after your class and go diving with. I would suggest finding like minded divers that you could go diving with and learn from after your class.

I have used a computer (diving) for about a year and a half. Im my case it is a handy depth, temperature gage and timer, along with keeping a running log of the dive.

I find it useful but not necessary.

For new divers a computer is not going to help much until the skills and comfort level reach a point that air consumption comes down.

There are lots of people doing all sorts of dives without computers from simple fun stuff to radical tech deep dives on helitrox.

I don't know of any agencies that require dive computers for classes or dives.

There are ways of using computers that *may* improve safety over the use of the table, square profile, dive plan. There are also ways of using them that reduce safety greatly.

I would finish the class, get my C-card and go looking for a new shop.

Welcome to the Board.

I'll echo Uncle Pug. Computers are NOT necessary or required.

Depending on your profiles (square v. multi-level), you can plan using the RDP or the Wheel.

Once you become more experience, you'll have a chance to learn how to calculate bottom time in your head.

My most challenging dives are done with a bottom timer, which displays depth and time, and a backup timer. The backup is a reasonably expensive computer. But its set in gauge mode, so all it does is track depth and time.

I suspect that you LDS is simply looking to make a fast buck.

Spend the money on something more useful. Like a nice dive trip.

ScoobyPat, I respectfully disagree that computers are appropriate when diving "on the edge". In fact, I suggest that this is the least appropriate time to use them.

If you're going to push the envelope, get the training to do it right. Don't rely on a computer to get you home alive.

I dive with a computer. I always have.

Is it necessary - No. It is not necessary, but IMHO nice to have.

Dive tables work if you follow them and use them corrrectly. Computers also work, again if you follow them and use them correctly. But both are only as good as the head attached to your body, and your ability to use them. If you leave the computer in the water to finish a deco while you sip a margarita on deck, then computers aren't any good due to operator error.

Advantage of dive tables: cheap, time tested. Great for a square profile. No batteries to run out.
Disadvantage of dive tables: designed for square profiles. We usally don't dive square profiles. If you don't stick to the original plan, it can be a pain to replan underwater.

Advantage of Computer, provides bottom times based upon the profile you actually dive and gives you near real time adjustment based upon changing conditions (depth etc).

Disadvantage of Computers: the battery could die, they can break, the cost $$.

Neither a computer or a dive table can guarentee you will not get DCS. Nothing can. You follow the rules, exercise caution, always do a 3 minute safety stop on all dives below 20 feet, obey the dive tables and the computer (if you use one) and statistically, you should be ok. But even if you do all that, you might still get DCS.

Bottom line, they make FORDs and Chevrolets. Nether is right for everyone. Which is right for you is a matter of personal perference.

Find a new dive shop that listens to the customer and does not call them names when they won't pop for a $600+ item today.

Enjoy diving,

Just my $0.02.

I think that computers arn't necessary, but sometimes there nice to have. For instance when I was diving in Cozumel, I was doing two and three dives a day for a week. And most of the dives were ones where we just followed the dive master. I was using a Scubapro BT at the time. All I did was just maked sure that I never went deeper than my dive master and I was ok. In summary, dive computers are great for multiday dives and dive vacations but for dives at home where you can plan what you want to do BT's are great. This is my 2 cents.
Tekkie

Back
Top Bottom