Integrated inflator/octo or just and octo..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMonkeyDive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks, been goin back and forth with this decision in my head for a couple weekes now. Seeing as dive season is pretty much dead for me, no dry suit, i'm streamlining my gear and gettin ready for spring. My reg is one of the aqualung conshelf XIV with only a first and second stage. Everytime I take a class for certification, im AOW level diver, PADI requires an octo. So I found a nice Sherwood intergrated inflator/octo, but im not sure if this is a good peice of gear. Anybody dive with a reg like this? The only concern I can think of is if the inflator or octo have an issue, I've now got a peice of equipment that is defective because the other function, octo or inflator, has crapped out on me. I've found a good sherwood octo that is really reasonably priced($89) a local shop, not mine, and I'm eyeballin the separate octo whereas the integrated octo/inflator is $123 at my shop.

Input, comments, concerns, all welcome.

Last edited:
You can do a search on Integrated octo, Air2, or various other names and find more threads and info than you probably want. That being said, you will also get answers that range from they're great to they're just accidents waiting to happen. The long and short of it is you should get whatever you are comfortable with and go with whatever your gear preference is. I use an Air2 most of the time unless a different equipment configuration dictates that I use a long hose, then I simply add a long hose and use my Air2 as an inflator. Good luck on sorting through all the answers.

Thanks for the responses guys. Didnt realise this had been beaten already. Currently reading thru the threads that exist about this subject.

The Sherwood Gemini is a great piece of gear. It has a heavy cracking pressure out of the box, something your LDS tec can tune down if you like. Once you break the cracking pressure though you get plenty of air. I've used it personally when I bought my first set of gear. It inflates faster than a normal inflator, something I've found all integrated-octo inflators do. Just for simplicities sake, I'll be calling all integrated-octos Air 2's.

There are several things you must consider if using an Air 2.
1) You'll be donating your primary and using your Air 2 in an Out-of-Air (OOA) situation. Because of this you should have a long primary hose. Having to share air with the short standard 28in primary hose gets very claustrophobic and often makes it hard for either diver to manipulate their gear without getting in each other's way. For this reason I recommend getting a 40in primary hose at minimum. You can also get lengths of 5,6,7, & 9 ft; but that requires a different set of training as you'll be wrapping the hose around you in a specific way, and deploying it in a specific technique.
If you get a 40in primary hose, you should also get an angle adapter or a swivel so you can keep the long hose under your arm, instead of bowing out to your side.

2) Air 2's use a different style of inflator hose compared to the normal inflators. This means you cannot mix and match your BC and reg with other BC and regs unless they use an Air 2 as well. The hose they use has a bit more girth and allows for more air flow.

3) Because of the wide inflator hose, you can breath out of your Air 2 just fine. But your BC can also inflate faster as a result.

4) When sharing Air, you'll need to choose a correct technique to dumping air on ascent. I would advise against taking the Air 2 out of your mouth to dump, there are safer techniques. I can go into an explanation if you would like.

5) For safety reasons, you should not tie down your Air 2. This could hamper your ability to quickly dump air and/or deploy your Air 2 for yourself.

Personally, I did switch out my Gemini because having an Air 2 didn't fit with my style of diving. I found that I was unable to tie down my inflator for safety reasons. Some of the diving I do requires me to be right down next to the ground and my Gemini as a result would scrap the bottom.

Other conflicts I had were as follows:
- My BC corrugated hose was stiff, and tended to push my Air 2 out of my mouth.
- Because it dragged, there was always the possibility of sand causing the Air 2 to get gunked up or have one of the buttons jam

Last edited:
I found that I was unable to tie down my inflator for safety reasons. Some of the diving I do requires me to be right down next to the ground and my Gemini as a result would scrap the bottom.

- Because it dragged, there was always the possibility of sand causing the Air 2 to get gunked up or have one of the buttons jam

velcro tab on strap of BC, ring of mating velcro on corrugated hose = success. BTW - this is how a old Dacor BC came set up from the factory.... now all my BC(s)s are set this way.

... or a quick clip (octo or console "pinch hold style" - not a buckle) on the inflator hose to the BC ring - I use a pull to dump, so I almost never dump through the reg/inflator....

g1138 pretty much covered it. The combined octo-inflators are bigger and longer than standard inflators, which can be an issue if you do a lot of photography or anything else that requires moving close to the bottom. They are not compatible with standard inflator hoses, which can be solved by carrying a spare hose with you when you travel. They require that you control your buoyancy with what you are breathing, if you are sharing gas, unless your BC has other dumps you can use in a variety of positions.

Whatever you do, make sure you practice with it and that you are really COMFORTABLE with its use and how air-sharing and ascending proceeds. When my husband and I bought our Air2s, we really didn't think about things like needing a longer primary hose, but we discovered them by practicing the skill.

The combined octo-inflators are bigger and longer than standard inflators, .

Hmmm.. I just put it on the end of my existing hose. Well I do agree it is bigger, but longer? Not any significant amount....

My configuration is a long hose primary (for donation) and O/I..... works for what I am doing very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom