When it rains, it pours mola molas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Any sighting of these unearthly looking fish is a rare treat, but to find mola mola cleaning stations on 3 consecutive dives is remarkable. Within a week, we saw them on the Redondo Barge, the PV Underwater Arch, and the crane off Haggerty's. Could this be an annual occurrence?

At Haggerty's Crane yesterday, I counted 6 mola molas of approximately 16 inches. They were much less skittish than the others previously encountered.

On Sat., we encountered almost every sea state we could imagine, from getting trounced on the way to the fuel dock to flat calm later in the day at the Underwater Arch.

The surface vis was miraculous at the Underwater Arch - from deck, we could see the scales on schooling fish and it was darn nice at depth. There was certainly no shortage of widely different photo subjects. After a pleasant 1 1/2 hour dive, I saw several mola molas being cleaned by half-moons right behind the boat.

Another surprise was this adult giant kelpfish, Heterostichus rostratus.

Before we dropped Phil found a 2-inch comb jelly, Beroe forskalli, at the surface. I chased after this nimble, predatory, spiral-swimming little thing, mesmerized by its shimmering comb rows.

The wide end is the mouth, which contains macrocilia used to chomp on or engulf other jellies. Some can be seen in this photo.

Besides Chromodoris macfarlandi and Berthella californica, the Arch holds Phil's coveted nudi, Dendrodoris behrensi.

Many different species of sponge and tunicate can be found at the Arch. We need to showcase more representatives from there.

Gray tunicate.

Gray puffball sponge

Great Series Merry! Really enjoyed your comb jelly shots. Love the iridescence in the first shot. The Dendrodoris behrensi shots are excellent as well. You two had an epic wet weekend!

I only saw Mola Molas once when diving with Christina (aka PacifcGal). However those Molas were at the bottom dying as someone took their fins.

I only saw Mola Molas once when diving with Christina (aka PacifcGal). However those Molas were at the bottom dying as someone took their fins.

That "someone" would be one or more sea lions, who love to bite off the fins and play Mola Mola Frisbee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 molas, in a group, seen at the Eureka oil rig off Long Beach late last month. Quite a site.

Bill Powers

Last edited:
very nice

Love these fish. First time I saw one was back in 1969 when I was hauling kelp up over a swimstep for some scientific research. I saw the head coming at me and thought it was a GWS until it turned sideways. Whew!

You might be interested in one of my columns describing an observation of Heermann's gulls cleaning Molas:

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom