To Puke in a Regulator or not to puke in a regulator....That is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was finally able to answer that question during a dive today. We were determined to go diving for my birthday and our plans in Key Largo got blown away but Ocean Divers told us that there was an afternoon boat going out in Key West. We stopped by Net Doc's shop but they weren't going to go out either. So my buddy and I plus two other people from our boat made a beeline to Key West and got on a 2 PM charter. We got out there and coming from the gulf those were the biggest waves I've ever seen. At least 5-6 feet. The boat was a rocking and a tipping. But on the first dive everything was fine. Jumped in made my way down to the bottom to see the fishies completed the dive and adventure of getting back on the boat. Then once on the boat the nausea hits me and it's all over from there.

I feed the fish a couple times before getting my gear on because I know I'll feel better underwater. Famous last words. The surge from the reef was reaking havoc with my equilibrium and I threw up 3 more times underwater all while maintaining good buoyancy and trim. The secret is, to take the reg out, puke, purge and replace reg, take reg out and puke again. After battling 5-6 ft waves, I know some of them had to be higher, to get back into the boat I was done. I puked the whole way home. 5 of the 10 people on our boat were seasick. I got some awesome picutres though. :)

I love how discussing puking techniques is a valid form of discussion :) Glad you still had a good dive for your birthday!

I was told by more then one very experienced diver that puking into reg is the only way to go:) I have done it both into reg and the way you described. Turned out it worked fine either way despite the notion that the reflex will force you to inhale water after puking (this was the whole explanation for the reason to puke into reg). In any way, I think you can follow your preference on this one. Nothing horrible happens to regulator if you puke in it anyway. Fishes going to like you, though:) So, it's all good.

There is the possibility that you might accidentally inhale water into the lungs if you take the reg out. Usually you can control breathing but always possibility trigger involuntary reflex.

Take primary reg out, puke through your octopus. If your buddy doesn't like that they should manage their air better as to avoid being OOG and avoid needing your pukey octo!

To Puke or Not to Puke...sometimes you just have to let it go. :yuck:

~ME~

Last edited:
I too have puked in both open water and through the regulator. When I first started to dive I was a puking machine. I would take every medication under the sun, try and adjust my breakfast diet, starve myself before the night before...but the combination of the water pressure and the sea water hitting my gag reflex was too much for me to handle. Thank goodness I stuck with it and now my body has adjusted just fine...I went through the same experience when I learned how to fly a plane.

It use to scare the hell out of me...puking underwater. I tried to rush to the surface once, thankfully my DM had a calmer head. Then a friend at work, who is a Dive Instructor, told me that my regulator was built to withstand the puking. He even told me that he and a friend would eat heavily at the Waffle House just prior to a dive...thus chum the waters and "feed the fishies". :vomit: Now I don't know if I am interested in setting up an artificial feeding station.

For me personal, if I have to puke, it will be through the regulator. I am not to interested in removing my regulator, when my body is convulsing uncontrollably and I do not have control of my breathing. I hope I never have to puke again underwater, but if I do it is ... Puke, breath, remove and rinse the reg, purge, re-insert reg in mouth and breath again. :eek:k:

Take primary reg out, puke through your octopus. If your buddy doesn't like that they should manage their air better as to avoid being OOG and avoid needing your pukey octo!

I like Freewillie's suggention. :wink:

~ME~

I was finally able to answer that question during a dive today. We were determined to go diving for my birthday and our plans in Key Largo got blown away but Ocean Divers told us that there was an afternoon boat going out in Key West. We stopped by Net Doc's shop but they weren't going to go out either. So my buddy and I plus two other people from our boat made a beeline to Key West and got on a 2 PM charter. We got out there and coming from the gulf those were the biggest waves I've ever seen. At least 5-6 feet. The boat was a rocking and a tipping. But on the first dive everything was fine. Jumped in made my way down to the bottom to see the fishies completed the dive and adventure of getting back on the boat. Then once on the boat the nausea hits me and it's all over from there.

I feed the fish a couple times before getting my gear on because I know I'll feel better underwater. Famous last words. The surge from the reef was reaking havoc with my equilibrium and I threw up 3 more times underwater all while maintaining good buoyancy and trim. The secret is, to take the reg out, puke, purge and replace reg, take reg out and puke again. After battling 5-6 ft waves, I know some of them had to be higher, to get back into the boat I was done. I puked the whole way home. 5 of the 10 people on our boat were seasick. I got some awesome picutres though. :)

Happy Birthday !!

The secret is, to take the reg out, puke, purge and replace reg, take reg out and puke again.
I am glad that worked for you. In general, whatever works for you, I'd say, is the right approach. I find it easier to puke through the regulator. If you do it forcefully, the regulator will be breathable immediately thereafter. You'll always have a regulator in your mouth, so there's no risk of getting a lung full of water on a reflexive post-puke inhale, but there is some risk of getting some of the vomit back.

Back
Top Bottom