Connect of bolt snap to regulator and SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwhite6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was reading a thread in another section of the board and a question occurred to me I want some opinions on. The thread was on knots to attach bolt snaps to gear with. In it was this link:

How to Attach a Snap - Dive Gear Express

At the bottom of the linked to page it shows a item you can buy for attaching your SPG and regulator to a bolt snap. So, do most folks that use this kind of setup use line to attach their SPG and regulator to a bolt snap or do they use o-rings or something similar to the device shown? I can understand somewhat why you would not want to use line for the regulator, but why not line to the SPG?

Why would you not use line for the reg? I use line for regs, spg, consoles, etc. It's easy and cheap.

What I have gleaned from reading on here (I am in no way an expert which is why I asked the question) is that some prefer to be able to remove the bolt snap quickly without cutting the line on a regulator. Maybe in some sort of emergency?

the theory is that you can twist a zip tie off by twisting the bolt snap. You can also sometimes just pull hard on them and they'll break. Dilemma with this is that you can't always easily grab the ring to twist, especially depending on how said bolt snap is caught. Solution, I use cave line and carry a pair of trauma shears with me. To each his own, but I've never been in a situation where I've had to "Lose the bolt snap NOW". Granted I've never personally had a boltsnap catch on anything before either, but I can't imagine when the 10 seconds would be so critical that I wouldn't be able to cut it loose. This is a hot topic in the technical/cave world, so this is likely to open a barrel of worms.

Some hoses now actually have a slot designed to accept zip ties and the line as well, but I have never seen anyone use the diverite product.

If you just want to attach an SPG hose to a snap link I would have thought an electricians cable tie a cheap, durable and efficient solution, likewise if I was going to use a snap link on an octopus I would have thought a cable tie the best option, but I am not sure about not having the octo on a breaakway of some sort rather than a link you need to manually undo. One less thing to have to do or go wrong in a panic. - P

Ah - might be language issue - I think what I call a cable tie might be the same as your zip ties.

The tech divers that use a bolt snap on the primary reg carry the backup on a necklace, so they can always access the secondary if there's a problem freeing the bolt snap.

I have been using zip ties longer than the brain trust has dreamed up potential issues with zip ties! They work well and I seriously doubt there is much to go wrong with them. Use cave line if that seems like a better solution. I've been using zip ties for 8 years, never had a problem, and see no reason to change anything. I carry my backup on a necklace as well. I am a rec diver BTW.... I don't see the tech light so to speak!

I use O-rings. IF the need ever arises, I can just unstrap the O-ring, break it, or like SaxPlayer, I carry shears.

I think the biggest concern for a breakaway connection comes from sidemount divers who use only one long hose. When they are breathing the short hose regulator and need to donate, they need to get the long hose regulator free quickly. Although it is often not that difficult to unclip, some people prefer a breakaway connection.

Back
Top Bottom