Hollis SMS 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TecDiver1990

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm wondering if the SMS 100 single bladder has enough built in weight to keep a big guy down in a drysuit and if not, how to add some extra weight without a weightbelt.

Thanks

how much lift do you need now? adding weight in sidemount is infinitely more difficult than doing it with backmount. One of my buddies uses diverites weight pouches with his SMS and he's a rather big dude. Has plenty of lift for him. If you're a floaty big dude you are still just as negative as a sinking big dude when you're diving. neutral. With a drysuit this is even easier because it's not depth dependent. When this gets really scary is when you're diving thick wetsuits to 150feet and they loose all of their inherent buoyancy, that's when the big wings are needed. If that wing won't hold you up, then you have weighting issues. As far as adding lead, you could put a diverite weight pounch in the back *they have one specifically for sidemount that goes in thru the bolt holes, other than that you are limited to a weightbelt or small weights here and there which are non ditchable

Very simple, you can add 2 XSScuba 5lbs weight pockets to the waist belt behind the blander and 2 more between the d-rings that would give 20lbs. You can also take a piece of 2 inch webbing put a couple of grommets and each end and string 4 or 5 XSScuba 5lbs weight pockets down the back. What I did is put grommet in 5lbs pocket and attach to the upper assembly screw on the backside the SMS for trim weight. You can also use hard weights behind the blander than couple pockets between the d-rings. I have a set of Diverite 32lbs pockets and they would mount vertical in place the XSScuba pockets on the waist belt giving you a whopping 64lbs. Just the find the right setup to fit your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom