BP for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am putting together my first set of doubles using LP72's. I have a DSS SS plate I use for my singles and a used Kydex I picked up for traveling. Will either of these plates be OK to use with the doubles or should I get an aluminum plate? I am just worried about being to negative with the doubles.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Hey are you using a wing

maybe a suit

PST/Norris double 72s should be damn near neutral, each, when empty. Give yourself a few pounds for regs and a few pounds for bands and manifold, but 15lbs seems like too much.

Ooops, I used the specs for the godawful PST 3300psi 72s. If they're oldschool LP72s, they should be 5 pounds negative full, and about neutral when empty.

Doubled up - call it roughly 16 pounds negative full, and 6 pounds negative when empty. A steel backplate would be a good choice with a drysuit.

-B

Since you list being based in AK, I am presuming drysuit, depending on insulation your weighting will vary. I dive faber 74.5's doubled up, they are essentially 72's with a 2400psi working pressure. I wear a DUI CNSE with a lightweight polartec jumpsuit undergarment and with a ss bp I do not require additional ballast in the ocean. Obviously YMMV.

As has already been said, you should be fine with the steel plate, as long as the bolts are long enough. One of the few downsides of DSS gear is that the bend is shallow, which can make it difficult to fit the steel plate to tanks with short bolts. The Kydex plate has a little "give" in it, so you can make it work with more tanks. (I cannot use my DSS gear on ANY of EE's tanks, because the bolts are too short.)

If these are the old, 2200 psi 72s, be aware that the rig will be very head-heavy. Although, diving where you are, you should need enough additional weight to give you a fair bit of flexibility on where to put it, I would advise not setting up your kit so that you can't put a tail weight on. We use a five to 7 pound tail weight to get the tanks somewhere near balanced.

I started with 72s, and now I won't dive them at all unless everything else is empty or full of trimix. As Bob Sherwood said, at the end of more than an hour spent trying to adjust harness and move weights, "You really CAN'T trim out those tanks!"

I guess I should have mentioned They are old LP 72's and I will be using a drysuit. I tried setting them up with the SS plate and the bolts seemed a little short, but useable.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Definitely look for a tail weight pouch or a half v-weight you can hang off the bottom bolt. Otherwise, you're going to be diving 45 degrees head up, trying to balance them.

Depends also on where you have the wing mounted. I have no trouble trimming my 72's with a steel plate and drysuit. No tail weight needed. To be fair though I do have a few lbs on the belt diving dry. None in a 3 mil or 5 mil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom