Transpac with other than Dive Rite wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigMasi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, new to diving I bought myself a used Dive Rite Transpac and while it was quite cheap and on a for-sale-forum, I didn´t do research first... after the deal I´ve been trying numerous searches trough the internetboards trying to find info on "can I use other wings with Transpac or do I have to get one of the Dive Rite wings?"

Seams like a question simple enough, but it´s not. I´m beginning to feel it´s not possible, but never found a solid answer... so I posted here.

If there is anyone out there who has a transpac and some non-DiveRite wings lying around, could you just try and see if you can fit any of them to the Transpac? This would mean the world for me... well, not the world, but I would appreciate it for sure ;-)

I´m looking for a single tank wing to use with the Transpac, but the Dive Rite wings don´t strike me as something I would really like. There´s many wings that I would prefer, but will not spend my money on them not knowing if they fit the Transpac. I´ll want to choose the wing first and see after that, but while I got the Transpac I´d like to... you know.

And please guys and gals... don´t turn this into Transpac/plate/??? -debate, please.

...really, I mean it :-D

- Thank you -

you can use whatever wing you want. They use standard 11 inch on center bands, can use single tank adapters, and have relatively standard sized band placement. What's wrong with the diverite wings btw? The travel wing is AWESOME for single tank diving, and so is the trek wing if you need some extra lift.
FWIW I've used mine with OMS, HOG, DiveRite, Halcyon, and Zeagle and have never had a problem. Some needed STA's others didn't. Some worked better than others, but everyone except the diverite travel wing had some sort of issue that always made me come back to it on that particular harness. This is on a Transpac II *old one* and Transpac *current one*

Thank you very much!

Here we can see the power of forums once again... All the sites just said that Dive Rite wings are designed to be uset with Dive Rite transpac/transplate etc. and Transpac was designed to be used with any Dive Rite wings. This got me thinking that I can not use anything else with my transpac.

There´s nothing wrong with the Dive Rite wings and the travel wing (or the discontinued venture) appeal me very much, but I have been looking at Hollis single wings that seem to hold their form without any rubber bands, they are 360 donut wings, appealing sizes for enough, but not too much lift. And there is fair amount of Hollis and some other similar style wings on the used market. Only used Dive Rite wing that I have come across is the rec exp, but I´m looking for donut wings. Living in northern europe the options on used markets are quite limited comparing to the US for example. And the reason I´m looking for used equipment is of course the money ;-) Well, this is all a speculation from a new diver and I will propably end up buying at least a few (dozen) items in my diving career that are simply wrong choices... just trying to cut my costs from the beginning.

Thank you very much for this info. I´ll be buying a wing (might be a Dive Rite also) in the very near future.

On my behalf the case is closed unless someone has some info on this -->

relatively standard sized band placement.

I found on some forum (that I can´t find anymore) that someone was warning someone on using some wing with the Transpac because Transpac has wider placement of the bands and that particular wing had narrower placement. So it will not fit snug or if you use all your power to tighten it, it might break the wing? I know I should have put that website to my bookmarks :-( ...sorry.

the dilemma arises when you try to use a wing that has different cam band placement than the backplate that it's being put on. won't damage anything, is just not ideal. The venture, trek, and travel wings are all 360 wings, the rec, classic, and nomad wing weren't, but now they have them.
I'll tell you now, the dive rite travel wing is a phenomenal wing and will work better with the transpac than any other wing you'll find. I'll post a picture in the next day or so. just had surgery on both of my hands this morning so can't weave cam bands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom