Diving with asthma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtcooney

Reaction score
:doctor: Has anyone any advice to offer on diving with asthma? My younger brother is thinking of doing his OW and is worried that he might run in to trouble without his inhaler. His doctor said he would be ok. But I think he might feel a bit safer if some of you guys could share your knowledge on the subject.

Thanks in advance

Donal:)

I wouldn't recommend getting a second opinion from this board! Your brother is better off getting a second opinion from a another doctor (ideally one who has dive medicine knowledge) if he's worried. This is a subject that deserves a proper response and not just a bunch of us giving you our opinions. Yes it's true, some divers have asthma and have no problems diving. However, some people have been excluded from diving because of their asthma...the decision to dive or not must be an individual one, based on your doctor's advice and youe personal comfort level. This thread may be more appropriate in the dive medicine section.

Best of luck to you and your brother.

i would say that he should also get a clearance from his doctor. I have moderate asthma and have never had a problem when diving. I guess it also comes down to knowing your body. I can "feel" my attacks coming on hours ahead. On a day when it is even questionable I do not dive. His doctor my limit his diving in depth but as my instructor used to say, "there are no underwater police". I had to recieve clearance from my doctor before I was allowed to continue with my OW cert.

I have mild asthma and have no trouble diving. I've actually never had a big attack but do feel slightly laboured when it's really humid outside. That being said, the dry, clean air in the tank is pure heaven! I also try to stay in shape which is of course recommended for all asthmatics. I don't need my inhaler when I work out so the energy exerted during diving is not an issue.

I think your brother should look at what his triggers are, if his asthma is well under control and if he is in good physical condition as well as consulting a doctor.

Diverlady

Donal,

This is a topic that gets discussed relatively frequently on this board. Here is a recent thread with some more data.

Bottom line -- getting medical advice from a dr. who understands diving medicine would be optimal. I have mild asthma. For me, the most important thing is to understand the triggers of my condition (allergens, in my case) and to make sure that I avoid these triggers before and during diving (keeping my gear clean and well-maintained, storing it in airtight containers when not being used, etc.).

My $0.02.

-Chris

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33250&highlight=asthma

Stress - could be a problem

Cold - could be a problem

exercise - could be a problem

This is a doctor question. Not a forum question.

:doctor: Thanks for all your input. I wasn't looking for a medical opinion,Divemed, and had already told my Brother to follow his doctors orders. I was just looking for posts from divers who suffer from asthma but don't let it get in the way of them having fun underwater. I would hope that neither myself or my Brother would ever by stupid enough to dive against doctors orders. Thanks again for Your thoughts.

Donal

I can only talk from my experience....started diving in 1990, became a DM in 1996 and have over a thousand logged dives and almost 500 training assistance logged dives. Have dived and assisted all over the world.......

No, I'm not a doctor and no I'm not qualified to give advice on medical issues, specifically pertaining to asthma......but doctor or no doctor's approval.....I have Divemastered for and continue to Divemaster/AI for certain Instructors (globally)who will not touch potential students who have asthma with the perverbal barge pole !!

These folks who have asthma, no matter how mild, or with approval letters from Doctor's are not accepted into open water training classes are turned away. This is just what I have experienced and is no way indicitive of my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom