I bought an older Zeagle Ranger on Ebay. How'd I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bones4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I didn't realize it was an older model until after I bought it. However, the differences seem negligible. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of a sternum strap. Anyway, it came with a set of regulators that I know nothing about, but I mainly bought it for the BCD.

The price I won it for was $239. The photos looked decent and they claimed it was in new condition. How did I do? I've tried researching this, but there's honestly not much information about this particular model.

ZEAGLEBC001.jpg

ZEAGLEBC003.jpg

ZEAGLEBC011.jpg

ZEAGLEBC012.jpg

Also, here's a link explaining some differences in the two versions complete with photo comparisons.

http://www.shaneburrell.com/?p=75

Also, does anyone recognize these Seaquest regulators? I couldn't find them either.

Thank you,
Kris

Here's the skibby as I see it.
The Octo Plus on the Ranger is worthless. Service parts are pretty much unavailable. It doesn't orally inflate through the mouthpiece. You will need to install a new power inflator.
The airway doesn't have an RE valve, so you cannot pull-to- dump air. The new RE valves are not interchangable with the threads on the old style bladders
The cumberbun needs to reset to the inside most positions if you want to get the best dives out of the BC. If you cannot wear it in the smallest setting the weights won't hang properly over your hips and hold the BC down during the dive. It will move around on you and it's not the right size.
That size Medium Ranger looks to be in very nice shape but fits properly somebody about 5'8 to 6' and 150-185 pounds.
The cross chest strap isn't important because it is a straight shoulder strap model and the straps are bolted to the cumberbun quite forward of where they go on the new model. The newer curved shoulders get the cross chest strap.
The BC cost about $275 when it was new and the Octo Plus maybe another $100
Hope this helps!.

I didn't realize it was an older model until after I bought it. However, the differences seem negligible. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of a sternum strap. Anyway, it came with a set of regulators that I know nothing about, but I mainly bought it for the BCD. The price I won it for was $239. The photos looked decent and they claimed it was in new condition. How did I do?
Do you want truth, or reassurance?

I own a Ranger. I love it, athough I have moved on to a BP/W for most of my diving and don't use it to any extent anymore. Mine was purchased almost 10 years ago (2002) and is a 'newer' model. That may give you an idea of the age of the one you purchased. I must admit, I probably have a definition of 'new condition' that differs from that of the seller.

The fundamental question, does the BCD function, does it hold air, does it fit you, etc. If you inflate the bladder and it holds air overnight, fine. If it fits you, great. As Gene mentioned, you will probably need to replace the combo inflator (although I would replace it with a 'standard' power inflator and move to a 'standard' octo on my reg).

I do not recognize the regulators, but I am not 'Seaquest-knowledgeable' beyond BCDs. If parts are still available, and the regulators function, then you have a set of regs, possibly a spare set. (The vintage divers will be happy to share their enthusisam for diving with 20-30 year old regulators, and will confidently tell you how smoothly they function.) Nothing wrong with them if they function properly.

Newer model Rangers regularly sell on eBay auctions for less than you paid. If it was me, and I could get my money back from the seller, I would.

Stop by your LDS as they are experienced with dive gear. We don't know the condition of gear sitting in an Ebay seller's garage for years. Parts may or may not be available to service the old equipment.

This makes it hard to answer your question.

I sure hope you get that old equipment serviced properly before using it. And thats if parts are still available to service that old equipment.

I would not use it until fully inspected by a service professional.

I second Colliam's suggestion to send it back to the ebay seller. Then pay a LDS a visit and see what they have for sale. You don't have to buy top of the line; just buy good reliable name brands. You can then get some pricing then head back to the forums for a consultation rather than buying first then asking later if you got a good deal. Don't rush anything.

Look into a basic Sherwood regulator and Seaquest BC. I like the Sherwood Blizzard. They are decently priced and quite reliable and easy to service. I'm sure with your above purchase, you don't plan on doing too much deep diving anyway.

Last edited:
I didn't completely rush into it. I just wasn't aware of the different Ranger versions. Considering how little information I found on this model, I'm not surprised I didn't know about it for a while. Anyway, the BC came in today. I'm about to go open it.

Regardless of the price I paid, It's still a Ranger, no?

Also, thanks again.

I think that you paid a fair price if everything works. Were the regs included in the price? You didn't steal it but I don't think you were taken to the cleaners either. I dive a ranger of that same vintage and like it alot. The cummerbund on mine is adjusted out like that one is and hasn't caused any issues. I also have the standard power inflator with pull dump. One advantage of the older model ranger is that it is a little lighter for packing. Mine is also a medium and weighs only 6 lbs compared to almost 8 1/2 for the newest version. Open up the top of the wing and check the condition of the bladder. If it is brittle or starting to yellow, plan on replacing it in the not to distant future. Parts are still available for the BC, so don't let the negative nellies get you down.

The condition is very impressive. The pictures didn't do it justice. The only problem I noticed is a slight yellowing of the bladder. And, of course, my standard low pressure hoses don't fit the octo Z. I did manage to orally inflate it from the hose connector though. Also, the regs work fine.

Anyway, returning it is an option. I'll obviously have to pay shipping. I could send it back with a total of about $30 shipping and buy a newer one for around $300 (minus regulators, which I actually do need), or buy a $50 inflator for this one.

I'm having a hard time deciding. Opinions appreciated.

The Ranger in my opinion is the best of the best out there (Again my opinion) if you want to you can purchase the Octo-Z and the screw on adapter to replace the oral deflator on it. I did this very same thing with my Zeagle and they were so helpful about it.

Cant comment on the regulators but if you intend to use it alot then have it inspected by an LDS. As stated above I dont think you were screwed over but I dont think you made a steal either. Good luck!

Don't jump the gun on sending it back. See if it holds air overnight and try to find a Zeagle dealer in your area for inflator parts. They may even have one from a BC that got scrapped. Have them check the regs at the same time. An honest dealer that does a lot of repairs should be able to tell you whether the regs are serviceable. The inner bladders are available at reasonable cost. Don't make the mistake of buying too short of an inflator hose. I needed one that was 30" long to come over the shoulder and not bind the wing. Bottom line is, I think you'll be really happy with the BC and if the regs work it's a bonus.

On the reg side the weak link is the 1st stage. Looks like a Seaquest Infinity made by US Divers.....not their finest moment and one of the few regs they made that you might have trouble finding service parts for.
The 2nd stages are very standard and easily serviced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom